We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Member Profile Link in Menu | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Bhavika Rugnath
Bhavika Rugnath May 22 '13
Hi, i want to redirect a Menu item to a member's profile. I can acess this Profile but it dont show thru the Menu item. What can i do?
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H May 22 '13

go to pages and menus on the admin panel add new page in main menu catergory name the page my profile and select external adress enter http://www.your-domain.com/my-profile thats it

Bhavika Rugnath
Bhavika Rugnath May 22 '13
I dont want my-profile, i wanted something like members/name , i linked that but the profile dont appear.
Alia Team
Alia May 22 '13
Bhavika Rugnath, why would you need "My Profile" link in your menu, if you already have this link in top right console?

"My profile" is dynamic page and you will not be able to add the link to it which will work for all users using "Pages&Menus".  This requires custom code modification.

Bhavika Rugnath
Bhavika Rugnath May 23 '13
Let me explain the idea. I have a user in my network named Newspaper. It will publish all he news in the network. So i wanted to link this members's profile (wall) in a menu item so everyone can see.
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H May 24 '13
use my other comment instead of "/my-profile" put at the end "/username-of-user"
Paul M.
Paul M. May 24 '13
Go to pages & menus -> add item -> name the menu item "newspaper" or whatever you want and stay with the internal page option and just provide the url "/user/newspaper" for the newspaper users profile.
Bhavika Rugnath
Bhavika Rugnath May 24 '13
i did that, but it doenst show the profile.
Paul M.
Paul M. May 24 '13
What does it say? The url I gave was only an example. Make sure to look at the url of the profile you want to link to and use that.
Bhavika Rugnath
Bhavika Rugnath May 25 '13
yes, it does not say anyhing, just show a blank page. The member's username is jornal, so i linked user/jornal.

I can acess that url normally, but from the menu iten it does not show it.

Paul M.
Paul M. May 25 '13
Bhavika,

I tested this out on my site and got the same result. Although the url was identical I got a blank page as well. I think one of the staffers may have to chime in on this one.

*******Edit

Nevermind on that. I just got it to work. Instead of using an internal page select the external option and use the full url to the profile. 

The Forum post is edited by Paul M. May 25 '13
Alia Team
Alia May 27 '13
When you add internal page via pages&menus system automatically "reserves" created URL for the new content and creates a new page for this URL.Created page "overlaps" original profile page under specified URL.

When you choose "External URL" system doesn't create anything it just adds a link. That is why you need to use this option when adding URLs to already existing pages on your site.