We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

For New Webmasters | Forum

dave Leader
dave May 22 '13

If you are new to running a website and new to having a hosting account, I highly recommend that you go to youTube and do a search for the following and learn how to do some of these tasks. 

php info tutorial

php.ini tutorial

htaccess tutorial

cPanel tutorial  (if you use cPanel)

Plesk tutorial (if you use plesk)

There are so many things that fall into knowing how to do this and it applies to so many experiences you will have regarding your website experience.  This is important.

:)

The Forum post is edited by dave May 22 '13
dave Leader
dave May 25 '13
I am sorry to be so hard nosed about this, and i do not intend to be mean just direct.  If you do know the basics or have no clue about web based sites, you really have no business being in business with a webste.  Your lack of knowledge IMO puts you, others on your shared server, and your members at risk..  
bobbi
bobbi May 26 '13
with me i know my way around the software but my server knowledge is not great, i find plesk not user friendly at all the tutorials are not great for plesk, i can not find anything in plesk but it was not my choice to use it, it was our other admin once they switched hosting, hosting company excellent in every other way, but i will figure plesk out one day

once i do i would be happy to show anyone anything they need to know as I hope i would be shown anything i need to know as i thought this forum is about helping and support, are you saying that those with no server, php, coding knowledge should not run a website on the oxwall platform or any other we should stick to ning or wall.fm ...........

so yeh i think you are being mean we all have to start somewhere it is not our fault if we do not know things, and you know everything lol, how can we learn, as i sad the plesk tutorails are terrible, i have not found one that shows me the cron and how to fix it as for debug forget it, error 500 fix not happening, it probably is in the most obvious place taunting me lol

but once i do figure it out if i ever do i wouldnt hesitate to help anyone who needed it
The Forum post is edited by bobbi May 26 '13
dave Leader
dave May 26 '13

I am speaking of very basic knowledge and basic relationships to each other.   I am not saying that people need to know php, pdo, mysql, and server structure to a great extent but at least have some very basic knowledge of how they relate to each other.   So many people in my own business support have been running a site for years and they still have no idea what an htaccess file is or what it does or what php ini is or does.  Or they have no idea what permissions is or what they are for or how to deny an ip.  

To me it is the same as owning a brick and mortar business and not knowing how to count money or read or run the register or do a sale or where the fire alarm and fire extinguisher is or how to lock the back door.   Free hosting sites and free web-builders do play a roll in this of course but that is a whole new book lol... 

Understanding that the next war will probably be a cyber war and people are having people trust them with their personal information and many times they have no idea how to protect that information on a basic level. 

None of us knows everything i do not for sure, but i did research and learn the basics before i ever asked my first member to trust me with their info.  I am just saying have some very basic knowledge.

I am sorry if you think that was mean of me to say, i did not intend to relay that feeling and i did not feel that myself when i wrote it.  

I am personally not experienced with plesk, i have always used cPanel and am sold on cPanel but i would think there has to be some good turorials out there for plesk.   So you need plesk tutorial on cron i will help you find one of you want?

The Forum post is edited by dave May 26 '13