We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Blog Roll | Forum

matt
matt May 26 '13
Hi,

We would like to mod the blogs plugin so that we can have a tab which contains a 'blog roll'.

In its simplist form, a clickable list of users that opens their blog page.

Any suggestions how to achieve this?

Grats,

Matt
matt
matt May 27 '13
If more specifics are needed.

What variables would I string together to form a membership list?

cheers

Matt
Daisy Team
Daisy May 30 '13
Matt, as far as I've understood you need a page with list of users who have at least one blog post. If so, the best way to achieve it is a new plugin development . Please see the crash course for more information here: http://docs.oxwall.org/dev:crash-course

If you are not familiar with the plugin development, it would be better for you to find a developer who can help you with this plugin development. I suggest visiting our Oxwall Market.
matt
matt May 30 '13
Thanks Daisy,

What many of us are looking for are Docs. You know those things that detail the system?

Cheers,

Matt
Daisy Team
Daisy Jun 5 '13
Matt, sorry, I've given you the directions, but this is all I can do. I cannot give you the step-by-step instructions on how to make this modification.
matt
matt Jun 5 '13
Thanks, your making out like that what I asked for! wow.

"Oxwall User" - Hi guys I have an issue.

"Oxwall Forums" - We would be happy to help - just give us the keys and access codes to your server

"Oxwall User" - Hi, I'm looking for some pointers on the system because there is no documentation.

"Oxwall Forums" - If you can't work with out documentation then we will patronize and insult you.

Perhaps some sarcasm will help?

Lighten up and get with the program. Its like propergander. We, the user would really appreciate documentation for the product we drive and support. Its hardly an outrageous request. Whilst we appreciate that writing docs is not an easy or quick task. Whilst we patiently wait - asking for pointers on the system, so that we can learn for ourselves is a very normal thing to do.

Quit the patronizing attitude and quit acting like not giving you the keys to our server is somehow abnormal.

Really,

Matt

dave Leader
dave Jun 6 '13
Suggestion Matt, this could save you some money and although not a tab per say what about a link, would a link to blog roll work?

Here is the idea. 
Go to admin pages and add a new page called blogroll, you can slide that page to where ever you want in the menu.  Then click on edit that new page and on that new page you have (inside the html code) all your links listed with the users names in the list as well by just using some html list code.  

like such :
<ul type="square">  open your list with this
<li>
each item in the list gets one of these
</li>
</ul>  close your list with this

Will that work? 

(note if your theme uses tabs for the menu already instead of just a text menu then chances are when you do a new page you will get a new tab as well.
Daisy Team
Daisy Jun 11 '13
Matt, the changes you are asking for are complicated and it's impossible to give you the directions or brief information on how it could be done. We ask everyone to provide us with the exact  questions, so we could see the way the feature is developed and what should have been done to make it work correctly. For example, if you started developing a modification and it does not function the way you want, you can provide us with the changes you made, so then we could guide you on what has been done incorrectly and what you should do to fix it.

Your question is general, and it would be wrong if we told you that you can make the changes in this or that file, because the modifications you are talking about can affect a lot of other files that we did not mention.

As for the documentation - you are right, for now our documentation is not full (http://docs.oxwall.org/dev:index), but we constantly working on it and do our best to make it more clear, so it could help oxwall developers to understand how the software works.
But even now, as you can see there are a lot of developers who create their own plugins using our documentation.

Matt, if you have the exact questions, please do not hesitate to ask, we will do our best to assist you.
matt
matt Jun 12 '13
Thanks, Please quit the patronism.  I have asked for which variables might be concerned. Im not interested in making mods to sell. Simply looking for variable to push into my html. Really.

Please close this thread.

This topic is locked