We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall and ModSecurity | Forum

Peter
Peter Jun 4 '13
ModSecurity is a web application layer firewall used by almost all shared hosting providers. The following ModSecurity rules may need to be disabled to run a fully functioning Oxwall site:

Problem

In the video plugin, or when using the embed video icon, posting code containing an HTML IFRAME tag will display a separate error screen about not being allowed access to a certain path. Posting a video link to the newsfeed or wall will produce an on-screen error ("Error X") in red at the top of the screen.

----------

Solution

Set up a guest account on your Oxwall application and give your hosting provider the username and password. Explain the problem so they can duplicate it. They will test and check the Apache logs in real-time to trace it down. Providing the above list of rules may also be helpful to them.

----------

Sample problem report to hosting provider (subsitute URIs and login information as needed)

I am having a problem with an installation of Oxwall on my account. The following steps may be used to duplicate the problem:

1. Go to http://mydomain.com/oxwall/

2. Login using Username / Password: guest / guest

3. From the Dashboard, post any YouTube URI to the Newsfeed.

At this point I receive a red "Error X" message at the top of the page and the post never completes.

4. Go to the Video section at http://mydomain.com/oxwall/video/add/index/

5. Post any YouTube video embed code using the HTML IFRAME tag.

At this point I receive an error screen indicating I do not have permission to access that location.

Experience from others indicate the following ModSecurity rules may need to be disabled or modified:

Thank you.
The Forum post is edited by Peter Jun 4 '13