We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

SPAM! | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Michael Leader
Michael Sep 7 '10
OK So I am just after receiving reports about spam on the site. Yup there is a user who messaged everyone with the "I luv your profile, I want true love, comtact me at spammy@yahoo.com" or similar words!

I was wondering how this was possible, I am assuming a bot to do the mass mailling. Hoping there is no security hole...

Any ideas, anything you lot can do to assist in investigating this.

Not fussed, just set the account join to moderator approve...
Den Team
Den Sep 8 '10
Do you have enabled Confirm email on Admin Panel->Settings->Main settings->User settings?
If no, any spammer car register on your site without email confirmation and spam your real member.
Michael Leader
Michael Sep 8 '10
what Software version?
In Beta2 I dont have the option to choose email confirmation... From memory this was a pain for me in wall.fm cos some email providers blocked the site and some users couldnt get emails.
Anyone, myself included HAD TO verify an email on joining...

Attached a screenshot...
Attachments:
  beta2.jpg (121.48Kb)
Den Team
Den Sep 9 '10
This config does not display on beta2 but it still present, if you had to verify an email on joining.
In this case, you just have one of this spammer guy, which was registered on your site and verified email. Delete him with all profile's content via admin panel.
Michael Leader
Michael Sep 9 '10
That is what I thought. I have the user suspended.
Any chance of in the future having IP addresses and maybe an IP ban for security plugins in the pipeline maybe?
Michael Leader
Michael Sep 9 '10
and anyone have time to develop akismet antispam plugin?
Pavn
Pavn Nov 9 '11
I think an antispam plugin is very very important for any site specially such social networks. It is hell lot of a job for moderator to look into every thing manually.

I am using it & facing a big time issue. If such plugin dont come soon i will stop using oxwall i think
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 9 '11
Pavn there is a captcha on register.

Also could it be possible to restrict amount of messages sent at once? Higher levels send more PMs. Just food for thought.
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 9 '11
Current oxwall has captcha yes.  Also email verify on account creation.  You can select admin approve if you like also.
A new feature was recently enabled is a time limit between sent messages, if too quick captcha jumps in to confirm you aren't a bot!

Pavn
Pavn Nov 10 '11
I didnt know about catcha jumping in:)

However i would to prevent somebody from making lucid / adult comments or sending such messages.

Like one user did he commented on all the items in newsfeed with similar comment(more than 500 comments)

Also one more thing when a user mark somebody or some message as spam, how is it get admin gets notified & what are the options he can take

Thanks in advance to all
Den Team
Den Nov 10 '11

Quote from Pavn Also one more thing when a user mark somebody or some message as spam, how is it get admin gets notified & what are the options he can take

There are no such option for now. As Michael said above, Oxwall already has some antispam tools and we will add some more later. 
Pavn
Pavn Nov 10 '11
@ Addenster Thanks
Pavn
Pavn Nov 14 '11
@ Addenster I think i made a mistake

"Also one more thing when a user mark somebody or some message as spam, how is it get admin gets notified & what are the options he can take "

I was logged in as admin that's why i was able to suspend a user but do the member have the ability to block another from sending message to him / her.

I had seen spam button somewhere but i am not able to remember can somebody explain??

Any help appreciated

Den Team
Den Nov 15 '11
Hello
There is no such option. It was already in our TODO list :)