We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Unused paid plugins | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » Oxwall Store
Abbey
Abbey Jun 23 '13
I have a few paid plug ins I don't use and will never use again... are we allowed to sell our license keys if we never use these plugins?
The Forum post is edited by Abbey Jun 23 '13
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jun 23 '13
Probably need to check with the plugin authors about that.

Steve

Den Team
Den Jun 23 '13
Yes, contact the plugins' developer about that. 
dave Leader
dave Jun 24 '13

which ones?

Abbey
Abbey Jun 25 '13
At this stage it's Reminder, User IP Tracker, Credits history and transfer credits, and possibly paid membership.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jun 25 '13
Quote from Abbey Jayne At this stage it's Reminder, User IP Tracker, Credits history and transfer credits, and possibly paid membership.

How can anyone live without User IP Tracker?

Abbey
Abbey Jun 25 '13
lol.... I'm living quite well with out it

dave Leader
dave Jun 26 '13
Have you heard anything from dev yet on any of them?
Abbey
Abbey Jun 26 '13
I haven't asked yet... was hoping they'd post n save me the trouble
Purusothaman Ramanujam
I don't want that to happen as the cycle might continue with the people who will buy it.

It's like reselling the plugins by the user who is not a developer.

Abbey,
Please let me know if I have misunderstood any of your thoughts.
Abbey
Abbey Jul 13 '13
yeah since there's no way to transfer the license to another user it seems a lot of work.... esp regarding updates for those plugins...shame really
Purusothaman Ramanujam
And also its not legal to re-sell or transfer to other users.
Den Team
Den Jul 22 '13
Developer can remove a license from user and grant another license to another user. Don't see any problems with this :)
Purusothaman Ramanujam
But is it legal, if the user gets money from other user for doing this? Just curious.
dave Leader
dave Jul 22 '13

I think also an important issue is will the dev support such a transfer.  If the seller gives the new buyer the files then that could possibly be a nightmare for the developer to support.  However if the dev is willing to just issue a new license and let the new buyer download a fresh copy of the plugin would be better.  

So the best case is that no files change hands at all between the seller and the buyer, the seller contacts the dev with the buyer oxwall username and then the dev issues a new plugin license issued to that new buyer and deletes the license for the seller. 

Although i do not believe that any money should change hands between the seller and the buyer im sure it will but nothing more than the original purchase price (not the current price but the price they purchased it for) And once the transaction is complete i would even require the seller to delete the plugin files entirely (hard to enforce but good people will do so).  And then the dev can charge a small transfer fee ($2 or $3 dollars) to the buyer for the devs time used. 

If done this way i dont see why it would have any legal issues at all.  The main thing is to get everything in writing from both parties so that the dev is covered in the transaction as well as it protects both seller and buyer as well.

Also transferrs per client need to be limited to 1x or 2x a year. This will eliminate people that want to take advantage of the system and become plugin wholesellers which im sure devs dont want.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 22 '13
Abbey
Abbey Jul 22 '13
I wasn't looking to make money from it... frankly who would pay more for a plug in this way when it would be cheaper at the store. Plus the developer has already been paid for my license so no-one's scamming them out of money for future sales.

Another thing is... if the developer transfers the license key to the new owner the person with old plug in files can't exactly pass out out dated plug in files with no change of getting updates to said plugins. So effectivly the original downloaded files the the original owner has are useless esp if their license key has been removed.

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Jul 22 '13
It is such a small amount of money that the developers are charging.....
Abbey
Abbey Jul 23 '13
some of them not so.... once you take in currency conversion for some countries. I may pay that amount in USD but it costs me more in NZD
Purusothaman Ramanujam
As said, its not allowed to re-sell or re-distribute.
Den Team
Den Aug 27 '13
In fact, OSCL doesn't regulate this to leave the decision on developer's side. That's why the best to contact an original developer before purchasing plugin from third party.  

Tammy

I've removed your message due to off topic.