We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

what we need is a good dedicated mp3 player | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
dave Leader
dave Jul 3 '13

mp3's are still very mainstream and popular.  Even although some of the more robust players have decided to treat them like 8 tracks or cassettes and no longer support them.

So we really need a good dedicated mp3 player as a plugin. It does not have to do anything else but play mp3.  I already have a bunch of mp3 files in my site directory from the old site i just need a way to import them so it would be nice to have that option but its not required, i dont mind manually putting the filename data in the database.

dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '13

i did find this, not sure if anyone has used this or not, it does not use a db but that is just fine probably even better.   I am checking out the code and gonna play around with it a bit to see what its all about.  

have any of you tried this... http://www.flashmp3player.org

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 4 '13
Pete
Pete Jul 4 '13
Looks ok Dave,i  might use it and iframe it onto a page on my site
dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '13
Im thinking the same thing with frame but i want to go thru php file first and make sure its solid which will give me options.
dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '13
so far php file appears to be good, installs easily and works first time.  changed some css and its looking good and works.   it even passed w3c validation without changing anything.  so far so good... i like it
Oxwall Accessories
Oxwall Accessories Jul 4 '13
Wonderful find Dave. I guess its true what they say. When it comes to information you are full of it! ;)

dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '13

thanks, yes im am actually asking the dev of this plugin http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/425 to see if he can strip this down to only allow a secure form for uploading mp3 to the folder we want, thats it because it is all file based, no db  no nothing just a simple form for mp3 and see if it is worth his time to offer this mini version for  $5.00...

after a little change here is what mine looks like.. I will have it on a page and then allow them to open it in a new window so they can browse the site while listening.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 4 '13
dave Leader
dave Jul 4 '13

cool here is what i did.  i created a page called music, then used an iframe to display the player inside that.  Then i made a copy of the player html file and called it something else.  Then inside the site window i give them an option to open it in a smaller window, and that opens that other html file which is much smaller and just shows the player and not the whole page.  

Looks very slick.   now all i need to do is have a way to allow members to upload mp3 files. I do know how to code an uploader for php and yes i even have my code for that already done here somewhere, but honestly for $5.00 its worth paying for a plugin to do it inside the site.   So i will wait to hear from the dev of the upload plugin.

Karen
Karen Jul 5 '13
I was keen on adding an mp3 player to my website. Thanks Dave, i'l definitely give this a try.
dave Leader
dave Jul 5 '13

You are quite welcome Karen, it was a lucky find.  But i think we all need really be thanking the guy who did this script and allowing us to have it at  free option. 

Also the Dev I spoke to does not have time to do an upload plugin for us right now so i will take a look at some of the other plugins and use them as a guide, and see if  can put something simple together for us all to allow our members to upload mp3. 

fyi karen all i did was upload the files other than the readme, i didnt have to do all the code posting he shows in the directions, im just using the default files other than my own mp3 folder.

The Forum post is edited by dave Jul 5 '13
Pete
Pete Jul 5 '13
I will take alook when you get a demo on your site Dave