We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Planned/scheduled opened Community. | Forum

Chrisstoffer Nightinglam
I have what might appear as a very creative/different/weird idea, being an online community and all, but I think it is something that others might find useful as well. I just don't know how to do it (cron-job?):

The idea is a community (Oxwall) that is only open in a certain selected period of the day.  Let's say, I want the community to be open between 13:00 pm - 17:00 pm and the maintanence screen on for the rest of the day and night. I can't get my head around how to do that, with out doing it manually every day, every week, month, year and so on. It is a lot of work - especially when on vacation and more.

Some ways it could be useful:

* Sometimes it is a good idea to gather many users at one time and not spread the debates/user visits out during all hours of the day as they aren't many online at the same time to answer, comment - interact.

* It's is interesting for a business while they are either open (taking orders and more) or closed (as a supportline)

* Online gaming, and while the game is active - so is the community. Or even the other way around with a maintenance screen stating: "We are gaming every day during 13:00 pm - 15:00 pm".

* A really serious community with moderators who need to be present and "work" via timeschedule. If one isn't there during 01:00 am - 06:00 am every night, then it is closed down (maintenance screen)

* A school might want a network, but not while people a studying. Closed during the day and open when school is out (or maybe just in the weekends).

I see many interesting ways of using this function, although, I have never seen others do. Let's be the first.

How do we do that?
Daisy Team
Daisy Aug 2 '13
The only way to achieve this is a new plugin development. You should create a simple plugin which will change the value of the configuration that activates/deactivates this page by cron. You can see the maintenance feature and the way it works in /ow_system_plugins/admin/controllers/pages.php file.
Also, please see the crash course for more information here: http://docs.oxwall.org/dev:crash-course
The Forum post is edited by Daisy Aug 2 '13
Chrisstoffer Nightinglam
thanks a lot!