We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Private group posts leaking into newsfeed for non members | Forum

dave Leader
dave Aug 20 '13

I would say this is a bug but unfortunately i am not able to reproduce it.  But i will say that i believe it is some kind of bug because of what happened tonight.

I have a private moderator group and 3 mods.  I have instructed my mods to notify me of anything out of the norm regardless of how insignificant or innocent if it seems strange.  So the other night we had such a thing happen and without going into detail the mod on duty posted a message in the private group regarding two new members of the site.  It was nothing and turned out to be innocent.

Tonight i get an email from one of those two members saying that when they logged into the site they saw and read that private post on the newsfeed.  And i believe them because they quoted some text from the post in that email to me.  They said they wanted to report a glitch because it was obvious to them that they were not suppose be reading that text and that it was obvious it was a private group conversation.  He was kind enough to report this to me.

He said that it was there but when he clicked on it, it disappeared and was no longer on the newsfeed. He loaded the page again and it was not there and he could not get it to happen again so far.

But since he obviously knew the content of the message i believe him.  

Has anyone else reported anything such as this?  

What can we do as admins to reassure that this does not happen?

I have changed it to invite group creator only but does that help?

I have to make sure without a shadow of a doubt that private is private when it comes to groups, if i need to remove group posts from newsfeeds all together then that is what i need to do and i could use some help doing that, but this cannot happen again as we do cover some very sensitive topics in our moderator groups that cannot get out to the normal members.

If this is caused from server lag or what ever the case maybe, even if we have to duplicate filter code at several points along the data path in order to make sure this does not happen, whatever it takes.

Thanks..  

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 20 '13
bobbi
bobbi Aug 20 '13
another problem with private groups if you post in the forum part the post appears on your profile newsfeed but not the front page, this happened while we were still at wall fm and still does now,
dave Leader
dave Aug 20 '13

Thanks, even if i have to remember keep replacing the code every backup i am going to figure out how to keep any group posts from posting in the newsfeed, i will look into that today.  If that means changing the core and having to keep changing it every time a backup happens then that is what i must do.  This is very important for my site, top shelf issue. 

The Forum post is edited by dave Aug 20 '13
Alia Team
Alia Aug 26 '13
Dave,  somewhat similar issue:
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/11154

Me and you were not able to identify the issue.

Private post appeared on main newsfeed? or loged in user's dashboard newsfeed?

Just a guess,  may be somebody posted private content into the newsfeed by accident and then removed it when he/she realized that it was a mistake.
dave Leader
dave Aug 26 '13

Aliia i meant to update this, i dont think that was the deal as far as posting something in non private then removing it, and the reporter of this issue has told me that it has not happend again since.  So im not sure what caused it.

But your post brings up another major reason we need user and moderator logs so we can see who does what with regards to deleting and moving and changing items.

Also and this is for me too because i totally forgot this and everyone needs to be reminded of this..  Folks if you go to installed plugins, newsfeed has settings as well and you can remove groups and other items from appearing in the newsfeed by removing the checkmark next to that item.  

I removed groups, forums, forum replys, as well as  profile stuff and other little items that we dont need showing.   The reason i removed forums as well is because i chose the connect option between groups and forums in group settings.

We will see what happens now.