We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Migrate Content from Ning to Oxwall | Forum

London Internet Church
We are one of those "Ning Refugees", having used Ning for some years but being fed up. We just found Oxwall which seems like exactly what we need, however none of us in our very small team are technical enough to set up a new forum using Oxwall, and - more importantly - migrating the Ning info (data base, photos, videos, etc) to the new Oxwall platform.
Is there someone out there who is willing and able to do this for us, if needed for a small fee?
Our current Ning site can be viewed at http://www.liccommunity.org.uk/
We'd love to hear form someone.
Paul
IB
IB Aug 30 '13
Hi,
I was looking for something similar but couldn't find anything.  Then I realised that this could be a good "housekeeping" opportunity.

I signed up with Mail Chimp to set up an email list.
As a Ning Admin, you have the ability to export all of your users to a CSV file.
You then have access to all of your member's email addresses.
Copy them into your Mail Chimp email list, write up a nice email, advising them of your intentions and future move.  Include a link to your new site and ask them to re-register.
I found that if you explain the reasons why (for us it was cost), members usually are more than happy to make the change.

This little exercise was brilliant, because it sorted out all the "rubbish", especially spam emails that got through the Ning system.  As well as "old" members, who simply didn't have any use for our service anymore.
Mail Chimp also provides you with some very interesting data about how your email gets opened and which countries etc.
I had 1200 plus members on Ning, now I have 300+ members of *real* users on my Oxwall site.

Mind you, I started this about a month ago, and members are still dribbling in.
Abbey
Abbey Aug 30 '13
there is a plugin in the store that lets you upload users via csv (I think there is anyway)
The Forum post is edited by Abbey Aug 30 '13
Den Team
Den Sep 2 '13
Very soon we will release a free CSV import plugin. Which will allow to import users from any software/service via CSV file. 

You may wait or take IB's suggestion instead. 

London Internet Church
IB, Abbey and Den
Thanks so much for your input. I am going to have "our techie" look into this and hopefully he will sort it out.
IB's suggestion to advise members about the Ning>Oxwall change is brilliant!
Paul (at London Internet Church)