We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email, contact us, and SMTP help | Forum

Tuan
Tuan Aug 26 '13

Hello Oxwall Team,

I searched the forum and followed directions on how to setup the SMTP, it still does not work. I even took example from gmail SMTP and no luck. I assume the SMTP being correctly setup, will allow me to recieve notifcation emails, new users sign up emails, and contact us email as well? becuase those are the things that I am not getting emails from.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Tuan

Alia Team
Alia Aug 27 '13
Tuan, is there any specific reason why you would like to use SMTP?

When you enable SMTP first thing is to make sure that your cron is working as well since with enabled SMTP all emails are sent by Cron.

Tuan
Tuan Aug 27 '13
Well, I don't receive any new signup user notifications or any notifcations if my post or when someone message me. Is this part of the SMTP or do I need to enable some option? I'm sure if I don't get these notifcation my members aren't either.
Alia Team
Alia Aug 28 '13
Tuan, I suggest reading this topic: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/10502

Three things are important with emails in oxwall.

1. Whether SMTP is enabled/disabled
2. Whether CRON is running ( especially if SMTP is enabled)
3. If you are testing with activity notification emails ( like somebody sent you a message) then you will need to select "Immediately" under your account>>my preferences.

Tuan
Tuan Aug 28 '13
Hi Aliia,

My cron is running at 5mins, due to godaddy hosting.

1.) I enabled SMTP, used the gmail settings.
2.) Since my cron is set to every 5 mins, (can't go any faster due to godaddy) will this be a problem?

3.) Do I set this after my SMTP is test successfully?

***Also, why is that we need to setup cron and SMTP? I used other CMS such as Wordprss and Moosocal and I don't have to setup those and they send out notifications. Just wondering..

Angel Ferrer
Angel Ferrer Aug 30 '13
I used the cms Oxwall for 2 years and with respect to the other CMS is pretty good, but there is an issue that should resolve for the next version and the problem of sending emails, many people complain that your server stops sending and the cause is nothing more than a table in the database called-ow_base_mail-that within it has a field called-SentTime-which is what tells the exact time Oxwall they must leave the post, causing this great problem, as there are always synchronized and php server, or do not have cron enabled or time zone is not the same server, even hidden reasons unknown to me ... Anyway would be nice to remove this field or a variant thereof which is not so dependent on the synchronization with the server and send mails even with hours spent ... It's quite annoying to be asking for help on the same to the webmasters, which even so many times does not solve the problem ...
Alia Team
Alia Sep 2 '13
Answering your questions:

2. 5 mins for Cron is OK. This just means that emails will come not immediately  but after 5 or so minutes.

3.It doesn't matter which one you set up first. Cron is required for emails sent via contact us form, activity notifications and mass mailing ( Oxwall's core features).

>>Also, why is that we need to setup cron and SMTP?

1. You don't have to use SMTP. It is an alternative of using phpmail function.
If SMTP is disabled system will use default phpmail installed on your server ( if installed).

2. But you have to set CRON for most of the email notifications. That is how Oxwall was originally designed. Solution has its own pros and cons. This can be changed,  but requires custom code modifications.

Going back to your issue: emails are not being sent/received ( in case with Contact Us plugin).
Let's make sure that your Cron is set first.
If you provide your site URL I will be glad to check  this for you.