We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

The 'Social Share' plugin is a must have! - Social Share | Forum

Ebony Wood
Ebony Wood Aug 29 '13
In todays world of social media, if you own a website you can NOT run way from the twitters, facebooks, diggs etc. They serve a purpose.

The 'social share' plugin is very useful in getting your website to appear high in search engines

All you do is share which ever page you want with these social media websites. I noticed that by sharing each of the the main menu/module pages, with each of the social media websites included in the 'social share plugin', a much increased ranking of my website on google and bing searches was realised within a short time.. (Yahoo searches kind of sucks big time these days, i have not noticed any increase on yahoo).  Within 1 day, my shared links on twitter, digg, delicious and pinterest showed up on google searches. There after, all these 'domain info' websites also started showing my domain name. about 5 days later Alexa also showed stats and ranking for my website. 

The best way to do this is to login to your faceboook account, and use your facebook to sign up for each of the social media websites included in the 'social share plugin'. There after go to each main page you want to share and click the share buttons one by one.  Or go to your most useful content blogs, photos, articles etc  and click to share. Note that it is important to share useful content from your website. Do Not just share some advertising junk.  Google searches are smart on these. Also the social media websites especially pinterest.com will not publish your content if it is just advertising.

Make sure that you already have information about your website pre-written such that when asked, you simply copy and paste.  Sit back for a week or two and see the results as your website shows more prominently on search engines..

Two draw backs with the social share plugin.

1 - This plugin increases your website page load times. This is especially due to the "www.delicious.com"  button. There servers are so slow and your website can lag in loading because it is depending on which social media website server is slowest. And very often it is delicious.com and digg.com.

2 - I would appreciate if the developer would provide an option for adjusting the sizes of the share buttons. In my view they are currently too big and take too much of advertising space, hence causing visual clutter on one's webpage.  if The developer can tell us how we can adjust these share buttons manually to smaller sizes. That would really improve the social share plugin visual integration to websites.

note that for most of these social media buttons, the providers have options to allow you to install them manually on your website. (that only works if your an internet developer savvy person. for the rest of us, we will use this social share plugin.) 

Just my personal opinion.
See picture below.
The Forum post is edited by Ebony Wood Aug 29 '13
Attachments:
  social-share.jpg (12.05Kb)
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Thanks for your feedback.

Its commonly known that loading external scripts is going to take time during script loading. So nothing can be done on this, if you want all site sharing.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I will see on that.
Dufrerne
Dufrerne Sep 3 '13
How to install the modules?

I do not see any installation guide.
Purusothaman Ramanujam
This is just like any other plugin. I have already replied to your private message.
Ebony Wood
Ebony Wood Sep 3 '13
Puro have you had the time to look at how we could reduce the size of the social share buttons?
Purusothaman Ramanujam
This is not a straight forward design as lot of networks are being integrated here. So I will need some more time.
Ebony Wood
Ebony Wood Sep 4 '13
ok
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Please try the new version. This has major changes.. It has twitter sharing that you requested and also floating sidebar option. The icons are not neat and clean.
Ebony Wood
Ebony Wood Oct 26 '13
I just downloaded the newer version. I will install it shortly and give you a feed back. It would be nice if you could change the downloadable zip filename to reflect the version.

Purusothaman Ramanujam
Sometime when the filename and plugin name is different in store, it shows as corrupted when downloaded.
Ebony Wood
Ebony Wood Oct 29 '13
I see
You do not have permission to reply this topic