We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

password protect directory | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
dave Leader
dave Aug 31 '13

I need to pw protect a custom dir for the site, when i activate pw protection on the folder in oxwall it does not like it 500 error..

i did add it to accepted folders in my htaccess but it still does not like it.

anyone know how to pw protect a folder and make it so that oxwall does not have a cow over it..

thanks..

im sure is something in htaccess but not sure.

ross Team
ross Sep 5 '13
Dave what are you trying to achieve with that password protected directory?
dave Leader
dave Sep 5 '13

Honestly  was trying to stay away from having to do a bunch of coding for free... It was a free job and so basically here is the layout.

This client wanted a report php based.  I bilt a simple report and a simple db and  I was attempting to make that report not available to the general public via url and just to him by passwording the folder via  cpanel protected directory.  But oxwall hated it, everything i tried failed.   

I think it has to do with as you know when cpanel executes that new htaccess file in that protected folder,it executes its own process in order to bring up the login page for that directory, and i think that new process be it url based or exe internal based is not being authorized by the root htaccess.

For example, i know we have to add new custom folders to the root htaccess or we get that 500 error. What i am thinking is that cPanel executes for example:  passwordcheck.exe  well maybe that exe file needs to be added to the root htaccess in order to run.  Does this make sense, are you understanding my thought here.

I dont know if thats true or not, and i dont know if that idea holds any water.  I also have no idea (if it is true) what process or file to add to the htaccess so that oxwall accepts that process.

I did end up biting the bullet and coding the files to keep out the public but it would have been easier and faster (for this free job) to just do a password protected directory.

Have you tried this on your end and any ideas?

Thanks Ross

The Forum post is edited by dave Sep 5 '13
ross Team
ross Sep 12 '13
Dave, please try this solution: http://davidwalsh.name/...ctory-using-htaccess

If you get another 500 error, please enable the debug mode to find out the errors