We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

plugin test site | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 3 '13

ovwall base script is great I love it, a few teething problem but all good

it wasn't until I started installing plugins that I hit a brick wall

plugins conflicting

plugins only some of it works

plugins that just don't work

I have bought some 3rd part plugin off this site and they fixed any problems promptly

oxwall needs to make a test server that only developers get to use with every plugin installed in it

even make the installed plugins in a lock folder so no fear of other developers steel other plugin

developers can see if there plugins clash with any other plugin and can work on fixing it and once developer is happy there plugin works then oxwall comes in look at the plugin then approves it

a painter is only as good as the brushers and paint he uses

oxwall is only as good as the base script and plugin

it would take oxwall all of 3 hours to set it up and inform developers that they have a few weeks to include there plugin into it after that any plugin not in the test server are delete from the store  or demoted to free until the plugin is put in the test server and deemed by oxwall as working

all developers should be asking oxwall for this  ??

how many people are turned away from using oxwall after reading plugin forums all full of complaints about them not working ?? 

happier customers better comments more sales

less time dealing with problem more time to make better plugins

oxwall needs a dam big shake up

and  if any oxwall people are  reading this I will be happy to be the plugin teste/approver  

Johan
Johan Sep 6 '13
We're running a site with currently 45 active plugins. No problems. Are we lucky? :)
The Forum post is edited by Johan Sep 6 '13
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Sep 6 '13
Quote from Tammy

oxwall needs to make a test server that only developers get to use with every plugin installed in it

even make the installed plugins in a lock folder so no fear of other developers steel other plugin

developers can see if there plugins clash with any other plugin and can work on fixing it and once developer is happy there plugin works then oxwall comes in look at the plugin then approves it

The lady raises some VERY good logical points, eh?   Also would be nice if every plugin update error did not take a site down and lock the admin OUT!!!!

Cheers!

Steve

tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 6 '13

Quote from Johan
We're running a site with currently 45 active plugins. No problems. Are we lucky? :)

45 plugins wow you must have a lot of problems that you don't know about or havea very small users on your site
tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 6 '13

Quote from Steve Winter
Quote from Tammy

The lady raises some VERY good logical points, eh?   Also would be nice if every plugin update error did not take a site down and lock the admin OUT!!!!

Cheers!

Steve

steve do your self a favour and make a test subdomain on your server and install oxwall there and install plugins and do any updatesthere first that way u will know if is going to crash the site
Alia Team
Alia Sep 9 '13
Thank you for the suggestion Tammy.  Ideally this would be just great.
But right now such system can not be developed practically. For example, how to deal simultaneous testing of 2 or more plugins with same functionality but that were developed in a different way.
There are a lot of technical difficulties with creating a working system, and currently we can't spent our resources on this.
Steve Winter
Steve Winter Sep 9 '13
Maybe one of the more expert plugin authors might want to do something like that and then "certify" plugins as being happy things for everyone (for a fee).   Then the certified plugins could have a little badge or something in the store.

Steve

Steve Winter
Steve Winter Sep 9 '13
Quote from Tammy 
steve do your self a favour and make a test subdomain on your server and install oxwall there and install plugins and do any updatesthere first that way u will know if is going to crash the site

Thanks.  That is a good suggestion but what I do is have softaculous make a backup first  if I am going to do anything scary.

Alia Team
Alia Sep 12 '13
Guys, plugin compatibility issue is one of the important once. We are thinking now to develop a plugin that could have checked whether plugins work with each other and give admins end result in form of a report.  Right now this is just an idea we have in mind. We will keep looking for solutions on how this can be implemented better.
tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 12 '13
Aliia that sounds great but seams a lot of work compared to a testing site
Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Aliia Guys, plugin compatibility issue is one of the important once. We are thinking now to develop a plugin that could have checked whether plugins work with each other and give admins end result in form of a report.  Right now this is just an idea we have in mind. We will keep looking for solutions on how this can be implemented better.

Aliia,

That sounds nice. But I am not how its going to be technically feasible.
tammy harris
tammy harris Sep 14 '13

Quote from Purusothaman Ramanujam

Quote from Aliia
Guys, plugin compatibility issue is one of the important once. We are thinking now to develop a plugin that could have checked whether plugins work with each other and give admins end result in form of a report.  Right now this is just an idea we have in mind. We will keep looking for solutions on how this can be implemented better.

Aliia,

That sounds nice. But I am not how its going to be technically feasible.

yes Purusothaman Ramanujam

and if is possible would be a hell of a lot of work to make it and a lot more keeping it working

a plugin test site would only take a few hours to set up