We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

IRC (web chat) integration | Forum

Blukkie
Blukkie Sep 9 '13

Dear Oxwall Community,

I'm using Oxwall software for a Dutch chat community for younger people.

After a lot of discussions about chats, software, clients etc. We are clear on one thing: We want to use IRC.

There are a lot of web variants of IRC. Currently we use LightIRC because it's user friendly and looks kinda smooth. (read: for non-IRC experienced users) 

Still, we would like to see something important; Integration with Oxwall users.

It would be great to have a kind of chat wich has our registered users, male/female, age, profilepicture.. Things like that. We used 123FlashChat before but we hate the administration tools.

The problem is, we are bad coders and have no idea how to realize the IRC option for Oxwall.

Maybe there is some developer around here who could help us. We will discuss payments privately 

Also; we are open for advice/ideas/experience from anyone,

Greetings,

Blukkie

PS: Pardon my English

Den Team
Den Sep 9 '13
Hello Blukkle,

Nice idea. Definitely, this is not just a simple chat software. It looks more like a serious project. 

You may also post it on market to attract more attention to the project. 

Good luck with that!

Blukkie
Blukkie Sep 9 '13
Thank you very much Den,

I will definitely do that. Thank you for the tip. I'm aware it is not easy to realize this. Still, IRC is very powerful and underestimated. 

I hope it will get more attention,

Abbey
Abbey Sep 10 '13
Look at Cometchat, it may have what you want for a cheaper price.

The Forum post is edited by Abbey Sep 10 '13
Purusothaman Ramanujam
Looks like a good idea. Please PM if you are still looking for it.
The Chauffeur
The Chauffeur Oct 27 '14

This is also something I'm interested in. For what I need it's simple if your a coder and know a little bit about Oxwall. All I need is for the page to load within Oxwall theme and Oxwall to pass the users username into the nickname param of lightIRC and password in the password param of lightIRC (encrypted password will work).

The Chauffeur
The Chauffeur Oct 27 '14

I’ve managed to get the page up and running all I need now is Oxwall to pass the required information in LightIRC parameters. I’ve renamed config.js to config.php. Within config.php theres:

params.nick = "USERNAME";

params.password = "PASSWORD";

the way I did it in phpBB previously was added:

<?php

define('IN_PHPBB', true);

$phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : './';

$phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1);

include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.' . $phpEx);

// Start session management

$user->session_begin();

$auth->acl($user->data);

$user->setup();

header('Content-type: text/javascript');

?>

At the top of config.php then used "<?=($user->data['username']?> for username and <?=$user->data['user_password']?> for password

e.g.

params.nick = "<?=($user->data['username']?>";

params.password  = "<?=$user->data['user_password']?>";

It worked a treat. Im sure there is a very similar way of doing it in Oxwall just need someone to point me towards the right direction.

Gustavo
Gustavo Mar 18 '16
I am using Rumbletalk which works for me. I would say that it is a decent Group chat they even have a free trial available now. But I must say that oxwall seems great as well. Might give it a try in the near future.

The Forum post is edited by Gustavo Mar 18 '16
Abbey
Abbey Mar 25 '16
Is there any updates on this?