We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Unsubscribe - Paid Membership | Forum

Abbey
Abbey Sep 15 '13
There's no option to unsubscribe.
Or is there and I'm missing it?
How do users cancel a recurring subscription?
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Sep 17 '13
Abbey, right now we don't have this option.

Recurring subscription can be canceled in user's paypal account.
Once it is canceled it is up to site admin to downgrade the user manually.

Downgrading user manually:

1.  delete user from ow_membership_user table in database.
2.  as site admin manually assign needed user role by visiting user's profile >>"Change role" button.

We understand that this is not user friendly way, so right now we are working on a new feature so that admin can change role easily without changing anything in database.

We believe that showing "ubsubscribe" button to user is not in site admin's interest.
If user really wants s to stop using your services and return his money, he will contact site admin anyways. And with the new feature we are developing site admin will be able to downgrade user easily.

Abbey
Abbey Oct 25 '13
I have my memberships set to recurring yet they are not automaticly renewing, is this how it's supposed to be?

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Oct 28 '13
Abbey, it is not the way plugin supposed to work.

Do you get data about received recurring payments in admin panel>>finances ?
Abbey
Abbey Oct 28 '13
Hi, thanks for answering, seems it's because they paid by user credits... sorry bout that
Unus
Unus Feb 19 '16
"Recurring subscription can be canceled in user's paypal account. 
Once it is canceled it is up to site admin to downgrade the user manually. "

two issues here:

1. if user decides to cancel the paid subscription automatically the recurring charges should stop. this is a major annoyance for users and they will never return back if otherwise; the recurring charges should be stopped automatically by the paid membership plugin; for a big number of users it is a nightmare to do this manually.

2. if user decides to cancel the paid subscription, the downgrade to previews user role again should be automatic; otherwise for a big number of users it is not feasible.

are these 2 points been improved/corrected? 

thank you

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Feb 24 '16

Unus, there is no downgrade button, which user can click to downgrade their account/cancel the subscription because not all payment providers offer the option to cancel the subscription remotely or provide it only for the premium accounts. For example, the PayPal service were integrated without the option of the subscription cancellation from outside of the PayPal account because this option is available to the premium PayPal accounts only. So, if a user wants to stop to pay for the subscription, they should cancel the subscription on the PayPal side (or other payment provider installed at the site) or contact the site admin with the cancellation request. 

Unus
Unus Feb 24 '16
I understand the case of not been able to stop a recurrent payment in some cases thus finding a generic solution been not simple task.

what happens if the subscription expires, there's no recurrent payment, and user is not paying a new subscription, not renewing; does the admin has to re-set the user role to a non-paying role manually?

Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Feb 24 '16
Unus, if the membership expires and the system will not be able to renew the membership, it switches the current role to the default one. But if a user asked the site admin to, let's say, return money and close the subscription, so then, admin should manually change the role.
Unus
Unus Feb 24 '16
all clear. thank you very much.
Skalfa LLC Partner
Skalfa LLC Feb 24 '16
You are welcome. Let us know if you have further questions.
Matthias
Matthias Oct 13 '17
Would this be an option to manually end a recurring subscription: 

1. User sends an Email stating that he wants his recurring membership to end before the next billing cycle

2. Admin checks users account and "Edits membership" 

3. Set the days until the next billing circle would start, e.g. 14 days until the next renewal would be billed. 

4. The system ends the membership after 14 days automatically and the user is makred "free" again by the system 

5. The user is automatically not billed again

Could this work? I am especially wondering about point 5. If the system marks the user as "Free", will it automatically stop charging him, although he had a recurring membership?

Please let me know, thank you

You do not have permission to reply this topic