We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Space after Editing Forum Post | Forum

Duncan
Duncan Oct 19 '13
After being relatively new to the software and buying way too much from the store, I'd like to start ironing out some issues I'm finding with custom code.

This one is pretty simple but I need to find the location of the code.

Basically when someone edits a post, the "Edited by username 2 minutes ago" resides directly underneath the post. In my opinion this looks terrible.

I'm looking to insert a line-break above this line so that there is a gap between the text and the edit line, so that the text is separated from the action.

Where should I go to add this? assumably it's in /ow_plugins/forum?

(Deliberate edit to show this post with a space underneath, how much better does this look?!)

The Forum post is edited by Duncan Oct 19 '13
Duncan
Duncan Oct 19 '13
Sorry to double post, just an update, I've gotten the edit shown like above by adding <br> to the language {text key='forum+post_edited'}

The icon is still staying put though, where can I find this?

The Forum post is edited by Duncan Oct 19 '13
dave Leader
dave Oct 19 '13

Hi Duncan,

You can add the return in ow_plugins/forum/views/controllers/topic_index.html  line 107 should read. 

<div class="ow_post_comment ow_ic_edit">{text key='forum+post_edited'} <a href="{$avatars[$post.edited.userId].url}">{$avatars[$post.edited.userId].title}</a> {$post.edited.editStamp} </div>

the ow_ic_edit is the icon 

also please use the legal <br />  instead of <br> 

If you are going to do alot of editing remember to write down what you do so when an update comes out you can put your changes back.

Also i would recommend using a great tool called agent ransack http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack  it will help you find stuff.

remember when you search for stuff in the containing text field to put it inside of double quotes...  it is not a required deal but i have always had better luck that way

i found what you were looking for by putting  "forum+post_edited"   You will need to have a unpacked copy of the software on your pc to search through.  

if you need help ask.... thanks

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 20 '13
Duncan
Duncan Oct 20 '13
Thanks for the comprehensive answer dave

For some reason any HTML edits I do never seem to show up on the site. Does Oxwall have some form of caching system or override?

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13

yes in  your ow_includes folder open up the config php file and look in the  else section near the bottom for define('OW_DEV_MODE', false);

Just change it to true and then press Cntrl F5  and it will clear your cache... 

In mine i have it double, i have found it is easier to just comment one out than to risk having a typo..

define('OW_DEV_MODE', false);
      // define('OW_DEV_MODE', true);

i also use this

http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/579

hope that helps  

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13
one thing about using that plugin, dont have your cPanel and the site on the same browser dif tabs, it could end your cPanel session when you clear it. I always have my cPanel open on a dif browser than the site as to avoid this.   
Duncan
Duncan Oct 20 '13
Thanks dave, now I've enabled dev mode I see all my changes

Is the site supposed to go superslow in this mode?

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13

yeah and if  you leave it in that mode your header image will not show at times too it will say something like SITE LOGO HERE  instead of your logo.

UPDATE actually i just pulled up your site and thats way slow, not that slow.

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13

i got a 500 error on the site just fyi

nope your back up... good looking site :)

Duncan
Duncan Oct 20 '13
Turns out the site doesn't like dev mode, but it's made the changes anyway

Thanks! I'll definitely be sticking around for some time as I've much more plans, I'll help where possible but I'm pretty new to Oxwall as you can probably tell.

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13
Great to have you around, you will learn fast.  The team is not around on weekends just fyi so thats why it takes so long sometimes.   Also i love the geek clock thats awesome..  Titan Geek is a good one too....
Duncan
Duncan Oct 20 '13
I like it! That shall replace "God Geek"

.. and done.

The search box at the top is annoying though (this is totally off topic, should i make a new thread?). Do you see that it resizes itself on refresh of a page? any idea how i could fix that?

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13

most of the time yeah a new thread but no its ok its the weekend.   That looks like a css issue, do you know how to use the FF web tools,  i dont use that theme is why. 

In FF it loads fine, same final size but no resize.... looks like IE is hessitating to load the bottom portion for some reason.   But yeah check it out in FF -> web developer -> inspector for the css stuff.

Duncan
Duncan Oct 20 '13
I use Chromes Inspector

Thing is it does it on other websites too

I'll have a shot at making the initial height smaller (and have fun crashing the site to update it!)

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13
I use macabre for all my sites so its differenent.   I am a creature if habit... :)  or an habitual creature how ever it works out lol
Duncan
Duncan Oct 20 '13
Screw it, i'll let the plugin dev handle it.

I have a list of other bug reports that have been reported here:

http://geekbio.com/forum/topic/bug-reports

Is there any obvious ones that can be tackled?

dave Leader
dave Oct 20 '13
I think whats best for those for now is just to make sure the Dev team here knows about them and then they can put it in the core.  Do you have a bug post here yet.. if not just add one in the bug section...
S. Bourdon
S. Bourdon Oct 21 '13
Quote from Duncan I like it! That shall replace "God Geek"

.. and done.

The search box at the top is annoying though (this is totally off topic, should i make a new thread?). Do you see that it resizes itself on refresh of a page? any idea how i could fix that?

I'm also looking for a fix to this bug.  If you ever get a reply from the dev team, please share it with us here!  :)
Daisy Team
Daisy Oct 23 '13
Duncan,

We would really appreciate if you collect all the bugs reported on this forum into one list and provide us with this list via the Bug reports and troubleshooting forum (http://www.oxwall.org/forum/5). One of our operators will check all reports and if the bugs exist, they will be reported to our technicians.