We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Dealing with lack of support from some Plugin Developers | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
dave Leader
dave Oct 22 '13

Hi everyone,

We have some really great plugin developers (PD's) that bend over backwards to help customers, and these same PD's are very talented at what they do an put out amazing plugins (PI), these PD's are the majority not the minority.

However speaking of minority, sadly yes we have them.  We sadly have a few PD's that post plugins but do not support them and/or when and if they do so, it is with an attitude.  Or they outrite lie to you and tell you they will fix it and they never do.  Or one of many other reasons they just do not measure up.

These are some ways you can help Oxwall weed these PD's out.  I know many of you will roll your eyes when you see some of these but please bare with me and let me explain later on in this message.

1. After you buy the product take the time to do an honest review, and post it in their PI review section. Make a copy of that review before you post it and save it for your records.

If you need support:

1. Post a message in there PI support area and make a copy or screen print for you so you can prove you did so (some of the bad PD'S may delete messages).  Unless you can show you left a message then there is no proof.

2. If you do not get an answer within 5 days then send them a PM. 

3. If you still not hear from then within 5 days then contact your local team member and report them via PM. Advise them of the situation and they will forward that message to the right person.  Make sure you keep this copy in your sent email until the situation is resolved.  

3a. Stick to the facts on the matter, dont get into alot of speculation or personal attacks.  Stick to the facts and let them know what is happening.

The point is that Oxwall does not have time to read every post on every PI page.  So it is important that you have an audittrail which can be followed so keep your documentation handy to prove your case.

The more people take the time to report horrible customer service the more it will raise red flags. Not only on the PI page but also with the Oxwall team. The team has internal ways to regulate and deal with those PD's that are in a big way giving Oxwall a bad name.  So give them the information they need to do their job effectively.

As a suggestion to the Oxwall team i would like to suggest that there be some better way to rate PD's on a wide fair scale that is out of the hands of PD's. These bad minority PD's often pad their stores with only positive and delete any negative reviews or comments whether the issue is fixed or not.  So lets come up with a better way to have the Users rate them on a fair scale that the PD's have no access too.  This will stop the padding, false advertising, or manipulation of review data. This will make the great PD's shine more and the bad ones either change their ways or hit the bricks.

These main categories should be:

Initial Support Response time

Solution Turn Around time

Customer Social Skills - kindness, empathy, overall demeanor, appreciation factor (saying thank you)

Overall Satisfaction - once the issue is resolved how happy were you with the whole interaction.  There may be some bumps along the way but rate this as a whole forrest view not a per tree view.

On the other side of the coin the DP's need to be very clear on their PI page, some are and some are not. Very clear means to elaborate on the plugin on its full capability (text or images) and fully explain if any other PI's are needed and make that very concise and bold if you need to.  Also have a suggestion thread and a support thread set up in your PI page. 

If you are fair with people then most people will be fair with you.  Those who choose to use this process to falsly rate anyone will be dealt with but we all know as there are good and not so good PD's there are also good and not so good customers.  But again most customers if you are fair with them and honest they will be fair with you as well.

On the Oxwall side, if they are giving Oxwall a bad name and they refuse to help the people that purchase their products, then its time for them to go.  We need to have them remember that having an Oxwall store is something worthwhile to have and something that is worth keeping.  Maybe we need to even put bad customer service as a violation of the store TOS.  I am not sure of the answer, but i know the proof is in the pooding and when it comes time to close a shop down for horrible customer service then we should do so and let the chips fall where they may. 

So let us move forward and hold those accountable, accountable...

Open for suggestions of course if i missed something :)

The Forum post is edited by dave Oct 22 '13
ross Team
ross Nov 3 '13
Thanks Dave, great post +1
dave Leader
dave Nov 4 '13

Thanks Ross :)  

One thing i did not mention here and i have fallen prey to is as well (meaning i have sent PM's to devs),  is that it seems more and more that Developers for plugins are telling people to PM them right off for support instead of posting in the Plugin area.   I do understand why they do this but this has some very bad outcomes.

1. This is unethical to practice as a norm because if it is a real issue that is not being fixed, the consumer needs to know about it before purchase.

2.  If there is a solution, then that solution is never posted and again the consumer loses out on the benefit.

So again lets do what we can to keep this whole process respectable and transparent with no games.

max1970
max1970 Nov 4 '13
esatto ...condivido
dave Leader
dave Dec 18 '13

I have just learned that the Oxwall moderation team approves or disapproves plugin reviews.  So regardless if this is something new or i was not correct in my text above... this is a good thing.. :)

ross Team
ross Dec 18 '13
Topic was moved from General Questions.
ross Team
ross Dec 18 '13
Topic was moved from Oxwall Store.
ross Team
ross Dec 18 '13
Hello David, 

Don't you mind if I move your post to the Oxwall store FAQs as you provide very useful and detailed information and we'd like to make it sticky, then indicate that it has been written by you (link to your profile). 

Waiting for your response. 

dave Leader
dave Dec 18 '13
sure go for it :)
ross Team
ross Dec 18 '13
Great! Thank you.