We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Curiosity about some config.php entries | Forum

Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 24 '11
Could you tell me what is the purpose of these DEFs?

OW_USE_CLOUDFILES
OW_INSTALL_PLUGINS
OW_PROFILER_ENABLE

They are all set to false, and I am just wondering what could happen if I switch them to true... :)

Of course it would be way better to get those answers from you guys instead, with a nice and detailed explanation about what those DEFs do! ;)

Thanks.
The Forum post is edited by Julio Marchi Jun 25 '11
Michael Leader
Michael Jun 27 '11
Go on, enable them! Might be legacy from wall.fm
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 28 '11
Well... Of course that I have tried them! But, as I got no effect, I had to ask! ;0)
So far, seems that no one knows anything about those DEFs!
Or, maybe, "they" are not answering because it is related to some dirty secret? A conspiracy??? LOL

"The truth is out there!"
Den Team
Den Jun 28 '11
Quote from Julio Marchi
Or, maybe, "they" are not answering because it is related to some dirty secret? A conspiracy??? LOL

LOL :))

I will share you with these BIG secrets:

OW_USE_CLOUDFILES - oxwall has hidden option to work with cloud files. This option currently not ready for public usage, that's there no any info about it.

OW_INSTALL_PLUGINS - this is garbage and will be removed :)

OW_PROFILER_ENABLE - be enabling this constant, you will see at the bottom of every page page speed loading info:

- How many mysql queries was run on this page.

- time, spent for a different steps of page generation.

Nice tool to optimize different parts of code.

Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 28 '11
Ok... You've covered your tracks very well, "double-O"... :) LOL

However, could you be so kind and elaborate a little bit more about the "Cloud" related option? I know you've just stated it is not ready, but I'd like to know more about what it is/does in its concept.

Thank you. ;)
The Forum post is edited by Julio Marchi Jun 28 '11
Den Team
Den Jun 28 '11
Sure, Cloud hosting is the next level in hosting industry. Look here.
There are tow concepts of cloud hosting:
1) Cloud server
Cloud hosting allow you to resize your "cloud server" on the fly. By clicking one button, you can increase your server from 1Gb to 16Gb.
2) Cloud files
All static files can be stored on cloud files and uploaded there by cloud files API. There are 3 big benefits:
- prices lower then on usual dedicated server
- ability to increase page load time. Static resources are loaded from another servers
- you don't think about where to store a big amount of static data

Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 28 '11
OMG... I am sorry I've asked the wrong question. :)

I am a host provider, and my servers and network are all CLOUD. I even have Cloud Flair service directly on the cPanel for my users, and there are more advanced tools for CDN users and Virtual Server owners.

Needing a top-notch host for a decent price? Contact me! (Sorry, I couldn't resist the chance of advertising). :P

But, back to the subject: what I was curious about was in regards to the relationship between OxWall and the CLOUD environment, but I believe you have partially answered it already... :)

The Cloud Files are in fact a small CDN tools used to extract from static servers the most used files and have them in a small CLOUD/CDN environment. It is a cut down in price but also in capabilities. That's why I was asking you about the role OxWall system can play in such environment. How do you guys control (interact) with the "cloud files" and define what will be "clouded" and what will be kept "static"? In general the server balance tools are the ones that make those decisions, and the API's for those tasks are not yet standardized (are they?).

However, if it was for CDN networks, then you will have a lot more control of what will be static and what should be replicated through the decentralized servers... But CDN's Servers are other kind of animal, yet expensive and out of reach for most people/small companies (photos and videos on FaceBook and MySpace are CDN)!

That's why I am asking about the Cloud. My question is: what kind of control will OxWall have within cloud systems (even Cloud File)? And what level of compatibility it will have with existing systems? Is it standard?

I am sorry for being pushy on this subject, but it is actually a very important topic, and having a system self-aware of Cloud/CDN, capable of optimize its own files/resources to take advantage of such environments, it will be a kicking ass system! Better than any "Facebook/myspace" crap we have nowadays (as they don't use the Cloud/CDN in its whole capabilities. They were built in a prior time when cloud was not a viable option and now they are having a hard time to adapt. Good for us!)!

I am very exited about those features and eager to know more about it. I am very happy that I've asked the question which brought up this subject! ;)
The Forum post is edited by Julio Marchi Jun 28 '11
Den Team
Den Jun 29 '11
Ok, I will try to answer you some deeper :)
Oxwall has interface Ow::getStorage(). Look it and play with it's methods. This interfaces can work in 2 modes: cloud files and native filesystem. If any plugin uses this interfaces to store plugin's content and OW_USE_CLOUDFILES was enabled and configured, then all plugin's static data will be saved in cloud store. You can simply check it on your wall.fm powered site: check the path to any user's photo - it stored on Amazon S3 service. So, every plugin's writer just uses this interface and if site admin configure cloud files. then plugin's static data will be stored on cloud files.
Currently, oxwall supoprts Amazon S3 and RackSpace cloud files API.

If it doen's clear, please, ask any questions :)
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 29 '11
This explanation of yours should be copied and pasted in the technical manual/documentation of OxWall! Clean, perfect, complete and very professionally elaborated!

It is amazing what a little push can achieve! :) LOL

It is only missing a compatibility map of the used API with other servers/providers! (I know, it is too much to ask). ;)

BTW, now it is making sense the existence of the "static files" together with the Smarty cache.

I rest my case about this subject (for now)! LOL
Michael Leader
Michael Jun 29 '11
hosting company pricing please and then the discount you are willing to provide for fellow oxwallians?
Julio Marchi
Julio Marchi Jun 29 '11
Sure... I'll work on it and have nice options available for you all shortly...

I haven't done this yet because I didn't want to use the forum for spamming of business related messages...

Is it any other way I can offer hosting services for OxWall community without spamming the forum?
The Forum post is edited by Julio Marchi Jun 29 '11
Den Team
Den Jun 30 '11
What about posting it on your profile's page for beginning?
Michael Leader
Michael Jul 1 '11
You could certainly offer your services in the "Oxwall Market"

IF there was a signature you could set on your posts it could be implemented there as well.
(Hint... Will that be an option later?)
Michael I.
Michael I. Nov 1 '12
Topic was moved from Core.
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Feb 7
This is actually to boot the most fantastic post we tend to earnestly veteran researching throughout. It happens to be definitely not consistently we've found financial risk view a little. kaufen holzpool
ALI SHER
ALI SHER Feb 7
allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your encounter, lips, tongue, or throat. Buy Zolpidem online. pool rund komplettset
ALI SHER
ALI SHER Feb 10
That appears to be without doubt terrific. A good number of teeny facts are meant experiencing great deal of background abilities. I will be interested the thing a large amount. acim
ALI SHER
ALI SHER Feb 10
This amazing is very much unquestionably great. All these smaller fact is manufactured working with number with credentials know-how. I actually enjoy the reasoning the best value. a course in miracles
bilalsonija
bilalsonija Feb 13
Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on! lava789
ALI SHER
ALI SHER Feb 15
elton john can be only be the best singer and composer that i know. i like the song Candle In The Wind,. a course in miracles
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »