We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

webmail plugin idea | Forum

dave Leader
dave Oct 29 '13

here is a nifty plugin... have a plugin that will allow members to sign up for webmail via the site  so they can have a  username@mysitename.com  email address.

it would need to verify their status as a member

it would need to give them an option of name to use but take their username as default if they do not choose one

it would need to have options such as how many points, credits or activity options before they are allowed to sign up.

it would need to be automated so once all that is done and they choose to sign up, the account is easily created

it would need to be shut down or disabled by admin or mod thru the site if they need to do so quickly

it would need to have limits set as far as how many emails per min/hour/day as well as limits on space used.

I think this would be a great and profitable plugin..

The issue is you can set a link to use webmail but the admin has to get into cPanel to set up each account first. 

any other suggestions for features?

Who is interested in doing this plugin?

matt
matt Oct 29 '13
Hi Dave,

Yes! to this idea!  (I cant do it, But its a great idea!)

:D

fbkca
fbkca Oct 30 '13
I like the idea, but I think it'd only work best if it was integrated into your oxwall mailbox. Sending them out to another system for mail is cumbersome and for me... I already have webmail, I don't want to be checking yet another system...
Alex Philipp
Alex Philipp Oct 30 '13
+1 like
Den Team
Den Oct 31 '13
Topic was moved from Oxwall Store.
matt
matt Oct 31 '13
The more I think about this Dave, the more I like the idea. I rember having a J! plugin that integrated with horde. 

For UX - it makes sense for a single login, so that users can access such services through one system. It would be great to meld it with the inbox. I might put up some investment, if someone can take this forward.

Matt
David A
David A Nov 29 '13
I like this idea alot!
Shaun
Shaun Nov 30 '13
I like this idea.hope some one has a way to do this.
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Apr 23 '16
Hey guys no one hasn't made this ?

Consider the API for Roundcube, i have seen Owncloyd having Roundcube inside owncloud i think this would work with oxwall if a developer makes time to work on it...I also love the idea.

Check out : http://www.makeuseof.com/...h-roundcube-webmail/
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '16
Webster thats great and totally worth me reading up on, thanks for sharing. :)
Webster Molaudi
Pleasure Dave, i have been looking for something like this to offer to my members and google has always been my friend.....Hope you consider this because this will be a money spinner for any Developer as most website owners want to keep their members for long on their website than going out.
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '16
Well it is my idea so it is up to me to either offer it away or if someone wants to do it then they can show respect and professionalism and ask me for it.   

I don't own the rights to an idea by law however as i said i would hope that if a developer is interested in this they would ask me professionally, that  if i cant do it, can they. 

I think it says alot about any developer who undermines professionalism to try to get in a quick stab in the back jack.   Ya know  :)   So ill noodle over it and read up on it and then decide if im still interested.   If you are a dev and interested please ask, but give me a week please to read up on this first so i can make a educated decision.  

Thanks... Dave

Webster Molaudi
True....It is your idea and respect should be given, noodle over it....and please keep up posted Dave. :)
Webster Molaudi
Hi Dave,

Also Check out Yandex :

1) Mail for Domain API : https://tech.yandex.com/domain
2) Domain, mailbox management and email transfer software (API) : https://yandex.com/support/domain/additional/api.xml
dave Leader
dave Apr 23 '16
great thanks :)
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi Apr 24 '16
Hi Dave,

I Managed to do the research and save you some time and work, Yandex is the best im using it now at http://www.myvirgo.info/email just for me, but it is not a plugin i can only use it to create emails for my users and read my own emails, i think this is where a developer comes in to make it a plugin.

But now what ideas are possible with the plugin with Yandex, a site admin only needs to :

1. Verify Domain
2. Change MX Records
3. Create Admin email account
4. Embed Login form on your website for Members
5. Create a Direct Login link : http://mailyourdomain.com

What a Developer needs to do :

1. Use their API so that when a user joins your Oxwall Site it auto creates an Account for them based on their username name create on oxwall.
2. Allow users to read their emails within oxwall via Plugin

FEATURES OF YANDEX :

Domain, mailbox management and email transfer software (API)

You can use an application program interface (API), which includes:

• Yandex.Mail for Domains API. This is designed to manage the domain as a whole, mailboxes and authorization of users, as well as mailing lists.

• DNS API. This is designed to manage your domain's DNS.

• API for hosters, registrars and domain parkers. This enables hosting providers, registrars and domain parkers to connect the domains of their users to Yandex.Mail.

and more....
The Forum post is edited by Webster Molaudi Apr 24 '16
dave Leader
dave Apr 24 '16
Thanks so much webster, wow really great info, thats awesome....   I think the best thing to do is wait for the user to authorize the creation of the email service.  I believe some countries have very specific rules about the creation of email accounts for members without their approval or request.  

Now you could put a disclaimer on the registration form which notifies them that part of the TOS is that a account will be created in their username.  However that might upset some and keep them from registering.  So its best to let them choose that option. 

The plugin can be designed so that when they click on the option in the menu, it notifies them that the process will create a email service account in their username and that they approve to such process.  

Also in adding the plugin each owner will need to post specific email use rules in their TOS.  Each country or state or province or company has very specific rules about email usage and the types of messages that could lead to banishment and closure of the email account itself.  It is always better to protect yourself and the user and other users and your company as well. This also protects the general public as we don't want "you know who" using our sites to transmit their BS..

I am sure there are some nice examples of email usage service terms on the web. One of the things that needs addressing is that in simple terms the server owner has the right with or without notice to check email account for spam and other unwanted or illegal use of the account. 

Thanks for that info... :)

Dave 

The Forum post is edited by dave Apr 24 '16
dave Leader
dave May 9 '16
I have not forgotten about this webster, people are asking for quite a few features for the ostore plugin so that must come first. I will look into this asap. :)
Webster Molaudi
Webster Molaudi May 9 '16
No problem dave :)
dave Leader
dave May 14 '16
I was doing some reading on this subject tonight Webster and it seems that the big roadblock with doing this for the masses would be the limits on shared hosting accounts. Many hosts have very specific rules about issuing web mail accounts in this way. One thing about shared hosting is that Unlimited never really means Unlimited. There are always limits.  Tie up 200 email accounts on a shared server and see how fast we get a nasty email from the host company. Especially if they are busy email accounts. 

So this would have to be catered to the VPS and DED server users i believe due to the lack of such limits, and right now i dont have a VPS to test this on. 

However the idea is not dead by a long shot. I am still trying to narrow down the idea to something doable but also do it for a need and not just to have a plugin collect dust.   

Pages: 1 2 »