We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Email Verification bug? [Answered] | Forum

Jerome
Jerome Nov 13 '13

I checked "Verify Email" in user settings... Then i registered a new account, this is what i get... I refresh the page, and it lead me to...

But i did not receive any emails in my hotmail account... I've checked my junk folder too, it's not there...

The Forum post is edited by Alia Dec 12 '13
Alia Team
Alia Nov 13 '13
1. Try enabling SMTP (admin panel>>settings>>main settings>>SMTP
You can test with gmail SMTP: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/13287?hl=en

2. Check with your hosting company why standard PHP  mail() function is not working on your server.
Jerome
Jerome Nov 13 '13
After i checked "Enable" SMTP, and leaving "Host", "Port", "Username" and "Password" BLANK and "secure connection" OFF, im not receiving the errors again... But in my hotmail/junk mail, im still not receiving any verification email =(
Alia Team
Alia Nov 14 '13
Jerome, little overview why I asked you to enable SMTP.

The error you were gettings means that for some reason standard PHP  mail() function is either not configured properly or not installed at all on your server. Oxwall needs this function for sending out emails.

When you enable SMTP,  Oxwall doesn't use PHP mail(), instead Oxwall uses SMTP.  Basically what happens is:

1. You click "Send".
2. System saves the email in ow_base_mail table
3. When Cron runs, system "kicks" out emails from this table to SMTP mail server you have set. So if you have set gmail, then Oxwall will "kick" those emails to gmail  server
4. And then it is up the specified mail server to send out the emails.

So in your case I recommend  checking with your host why standard PHP  mail() function is not working on your server first.  In most of the cases they can fix this for you.

If they can't you will need to enable SMTP. Don't leave anything blank when setting it up.
Each field needs to be filled in.
For testing puproses you can you gmail SMTP.
Host: smtp.gmail.com
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465
Email address: your gmail address.
Password: password to your gmail.

Jerome
Jerome Nov 14 '13

In the "Secure Connection" field, i have tried all 3 "Off/SSL/TLS" ... i'm receiving the same problem as stated "SMTP Error, could not connect to SMTP Host"

Kristi Hugs
Kristi Hugs Nov 14 '13
I followed the exact same instructions and I am having the same problem as Jerome. I have tried everything and nothing is working.

Help? and thank you :)

The Forum post is edited by Kristi Hugs Nov 14 '13
Jerome
Jerome Nov 15 '13
Kristi, just wanna know... which host provider are u using?? Isit blue host?
Jerome
Jerome Nov 16 '13
Aliia, i've managed to get it working for the SMTP... But im still not receiving "email verification" in my hotmail inbox/junk =(

EDIT: i got everything under control and working now... i've change the language for "Email Verification" to "Email Verify" and it's working perfectly now.. thx Aliia for the help you contributed!

The Forum post is edited by Jerome Nov 16 '13
Alia Team
Alia Nov 18 '13
Jerome, glad to hear! =)
Are you using SMTP now?
You didn't contact your host regarding php mail?
Jerome
Jerome Nov 18 '13
yes im using SMTP... i contacted my host, which is blue host regarding the php... they told me that there's problem with oxwall script, it's not their problem =(
Alia Team
Alia Nov 20 '13
Jerome, that is sad to hear.

I just wanted to warn you that if SMTP is enabled ALL emails are sent by Cron. So you need to keep on eye on how Cron works, and if all of the sudden emails stop coming, then first place to check is Cron settings.

Regarding phpmailer on your server.
In all cases when this error appeared for other Oxwall users, the cause was with the server settings.
Have bluehost  run any tests, which prove that the issue is with us?

Simple check for you to find out whether phpmail() is enabled or not on your server:

1.Add test.php file with following content anywhere on your server ( ex in root directory). Replace you@yourdomain.com with your email address:

<?php
$to      = 'you@yourdomain.com';
$subject = 'Mail test';
$message = 'This is a test email';
$headers = 'From: you@yourdomain.com' . "\r\n" .
  'Reply-To: you@yourdomain.com' . "\r\n" .
  'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
?>

2. Run this file by opening it in your browser. If you uploaded the test.php file into the root directory then just open www.yoursitename.com/test.php in your browser. If you added it in subfolder, then open www.sitename.com/subfoldername/test.php .

When you run the file an email should be automatically sent to you.
If you receive this email- php mail() is enabled and working. And the issue is in something else ( may be even in Oxwall).
If you don't receive this email then php mail () is definitely not working on your server and Bluehost should investigate further.

Jerome
Jerome Nov 20 '13
When i typed :

www.mydomain.com/test.php

it says " Page not found "... and i did not receive any mail in my mailbox

I also typed:

www.mydomain.com/README.txt

i can read and see the text...

(just to let u know im very sure i placed it in root directory)

MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Nov 20 '13
Jerome I use Bluehost with no problems. Except CPU Throttling reports are incorrect. If you need some help I'm free most nights and weekends.
The Forum post is edited by MarkieMark67 Nov 20 '13
Alia Team
Alia Nov 21 '13
Jerome, regarding "Page not found".
If you have added test.php into the same place where Oxwall is installed, then you need to correct Oxwall's .htaccess file a bit, so that it allows running additional files.

Open .htaccess file ( use any FTP client).
Add following line afterRewriteRule (.*) /http-bind [L]:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/test.php

Jerome
Jerome Nov 21 '13
I do not have a .htaccess file in my oxwall directory... i have a htdocs directory with empty files inside
Alia Team
Alia Nov 21 '13
Jerome, you will not see  .htaccess file if you are using control panel's file manager, since .htaccess is a hidden file. To see it you should click some kind of "show hidden" files checkbox OR just use any FTP client. It will show up right away if you are using FTP client.

Jerome
Jerome Nov 22 '13

i have follow your steps... and after typing www.mydomain.com.test , this is what i get ... so it shud be an error from my host ?

The Forum post is edited by Jerome Nov 22 '13
Alia Team
Alia Nov 22 '13
Jerome, if you did everything correctly

1. replaced the email in test.php with working emails of yours
2. and edited .htaccess correctly

You should have got a blank page (empty white page) and message should have been sent to your email.

Since you are getting Internal Server Error, I am thinking that the issue is indeed with your host and not with Oxwall ( since the script added to test.php is not connected to our software) and may be php mail() is in fact disabled on your server.

Have you checked your error logs? Anything connected to the test.php or mail sending there?
Jerome
Jerome Nov 22 '13
This is my test.php

This is my .htaccess

Jerome
Jerome Nov 23 '13

And now, all of a sudden, i didn't edit anything within my website nor install any plugins... And im having this problem when i type my Web Domain.

i've contacted bluehost, and they said i've done something with my .htaccess file

The Forum post is edited by Jerome Nov 23 '13
Pages: 1 2 »