We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Multi-purpose Oxwall Bridge | Forum

JB TECH
JB TECH Nov 13 '13
When I took to thinking of what Oxwall, as a software and not a plugin or theme, needs, I came to the conclusion of a 'Multi-purpose Oxwall bridge.' This idea arose with me when I made a Help Center website with just HTML, CSS and JS. I wanted the sub-directory site to get the logged user's Real Name from my Oxwall site and simply display it in the string where it says 'What do you need help with?' I was told by someone of the OW Team that such a thing would require much work and modification in a separate software or the form of a plugin.

That, of course, comes across as tedious to me being that I have online classes, am trying to start my business, and I'm not very good with PHP. So, I thought it'd be a nice idea to well..share this idea. I think it'd be a nice idea to get some of the plugin developers and even the OW team together to create a multi-purpose Oxwall bridge. A bridge that'll allow site owners to easily retrieve logged user's names and details for other sites configured in sub domains/sub-directories of the main Oxwall installation. 

I know it shouldn't require to much of a hasty algorithm, it may not even need one. The idea is a system that, let's say, can be uploaded in your main directory of your Oxwall installation, and will include php files and more that can:

-Retrieve information from registered users of the site

-Set up an enviroment for certain PHP calls and functions that will request retrieved user data

-Have a list of defined variables that can be implemented into webpages stored in sub-directories of the installed OW directory

-Attain Connected Database info

-Check the status of the logged session and user.

What I was thinking is something like our FoxTech's API plugin sort of does. Upload a file that can make request to the bridge system and share the user info. For example, let's say the bridge comes with a file called 'request.php.' If I add this file to my /help directory, I can use the bridge's variables and use request and other functions to get the logged user's data. So, instead of my help center's welcome saying 'What do you need help with?' It could be more like 'What do you need help with, {$username}?" and when you view the page, it'll show your name use have set on that Oxwall site.

Another option besides file uploading and editing, could be maybe the inclusion of a tag to place between the <head> and </head> tags of your webpage.

For safety purposes, this would of course need it's limits to work with the site it's installed at. So, most likely using this ideal bridge would require modification to make it work, but not that much I'm assuming. Say, a file maybe named 'install.php' or something of the sort, and you define certain variables, like 'domain,' where domain has to be the domain your Oxwall site is configured to. Something like that would make it much easier to use, so you can have Oxwall installed as a sub-directory site to, say, your main domain business website. 

I guess some basic variables and functions you could use would be for:

-Getting the user's "Real Name,"

-Getting the user's "Gender, Age"

-Get user's Profile Picture, Username, etc.

As for custom questions: I don't think that would be too good of an idea for a bridge, mainly because the Admin changing questions or the user editing the Question could make the system fail. In the end, this bridge I thought of could help let siteowners make more powerful sub php-powered sites like an interactive Help Center, blog, etc., where the user can use their data. This could also be extended if you want to pull a 'Google' and make many php-powered services installed in sub directories. Basically, let users join sub-directory sites with their Oxwall site account details and then those sub-directories can work with the main directory.

Again, I'm a rookie with PHP, so I can't possibly tackle this especially with things going on in my life now. Though, if anyone is interested, I'd love to help by supplying details and more. I believe a multi-purpose bridge would be very helpful to many Oxwall users.

Den Team
Den Nov 14 '13
Topic was moved from Custom Oxwall Projects.