We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

A user was deleted, but I have not deleted any user! What's going on? [Answered] | Forum

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Nov 27 '13
Today happened something strange on my social site: http://sosialtnett.com
I also had a normal user registered outside the admin. This user so I set up a group with an extensive history of my musical life for 30 years. Heg I put pictures, movies and explanations, even many days of extensive work. Today I register again all work is lost, because my regular user was gone and everything matterials I had posted. The user was simply off the network! But I have not deleted my regular user! So what is happening? Can not rely on Oxwall software? And where is the user data on the server directory?, Everything which users post images, videos, posts, etc, etc? If you take a backup, where one finds again the user data in the backup? See the picture. What and where is the user data?
The Forum post is edited by Alia Dec 5 '13
Attachments:
  Skjermdump fra 2013-11-27 14:47:54.png (99.74Kb)
fbkca
fbkca Nov 27 '13
Do you have an auto cleanup plugin? User's just don't disappear... I can assure you that.
The Forum post is edited by fbkca Nov 27 '13
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Nov 27 '13
auto cleanup plugin? no

Is there anything called that?

Do you mean on the server or control panel Oxwall?

Yes, here disappeared user with everything it has done
The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Nov 27 '13
Alia Team
Alia Nov 27 '13
Ketil, +1 to fbkca's reply. Oxwall doesn't have any access to your database and there is no way user could have disappeared all of the sudden.

Possible reasons:
1. If you have moderators on your site. One of them could have deleted the user.
2. Third party plugin
3. Your host did something ( not likely, but possible).
4. User could have deleted himself ( not likely since it was you).

Let's first of all make sure that user was actually deleted.

Go to your server's control panel>>PhpMyAdmin>>open your Oxwall's database>>find "ow_base_user" table>>browse through this table>>does it contain your user's username?

Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Nov 28 '13
"1. If you have moderators on your site. One of them could have deleted the user."

Not any extra moderator here.

2. Third party plugin

If so, what would it most likely be?

3. Your host did something ( not likely, but possible). 

Have already asked them, and the answer was no.

4. User could have deleted himself ( not likely since it was you).

Its verry true. has not done so

And 5. And no, the name "Testuser" was no longer in Oxwall's database.

I have a neighbor who has cross upside down and highlighting satan brands. Yesterday I took a backup of my entire home folder on my server. I downloaded it. Store on Gzip package that I downloaded the home folder was "666.6 mb"
Yes you laugh too. A small but really matter that I'm starting to wonder if it might be the cause! Relax, I'm just kidding. But for me this is probably pretty Spoky. And then helps well not great 666.6 mb when you know again you have a neighbor who loves Satanist brands and calls his cat by the name of satan, ha, ha.

The Forum post is edited by Ketil Ervik Nov 28 '13
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Nov 28 '13
No
Alia Team
Alia Dec 2 '13
Ketil, if the user is not in ow_base_user table, then all his content is indeed lost.
It is impossible to track down how this happened.

If you would like to move further you will need:

1. To add lost content manually.
OR
2. Restore your site from back up. Do you have full site back up with all the files and database?
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Dec 2 '13
I figured that i have lost all the work, and yes I have taken backup of both the database and the other, but after that i lost work. Do enough wear out my music history again. Bearing either a separate website for my history as a musician because it is so comprehensive, whole 35 years on the road. But thank you all for the great information and help. I take daily backups now. You learn as long as you live, I think! huh, huh
Emre
Emre Dec 2 '13
Hi,

I was just wandering around the forum if anybody has encountered an interesting case like I did and I saw this post. I assume it is good to share my problem here. Hope it is ok, maybe we had sth common.

I have "Mandatory User Approval" in my oxwall instance. I am regularly login and check if any new members have joined. Today I have seen a new member who has joined 7 hours ago and  she was approved. There are no other moderators and I changed the admin pass just in case.

Do you have any idea, or is there a possibilty that we had a bug in common?

Best wishes,
Emre
MarkieMark67
MarkieMark67 Dec 2 '13
Are you running any anti-spam programs?
Emre
Emre Dec 3 '13
Do you mean anti-spam plugins? If so I am running Watchdog, Anti Brute Force and Smart Captcha.
Ketil Ervik
Ketil Ervik Dec 3 '13
Do not take this personally! you who make certain plugin towards socialization. But my experience says att any connection with facebook, twitter m, m with Oxwall has at times given me a lot of headaches regarding spam users who sneaks to the membership and create unwanted effects! Since I started my own website with Oxwall, with no facebook, google api key linking, I've got peace from spam.