We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

make mobile a perma link? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Joseph
Joseph Jan 24 '14
is there a way to make the mobile site its own directory? as of now you have to click a link that activates it but for our simple apps we are having made they work on tablets and the people on tablets prefer our mobile version but end up always seeing our desktop version. Our app is like a standalone browser so we need a permanent directory that loads the mobile version no matter what device is detected.
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Jan 24 '14
the link to mobile is yoursite.com/mobile-version but is disguised to look like your main site domain  
Joseph
Joseph Jan 24 '14
yeah but the issue with that is if I link our apps to go to yoursite.com/mobile-version they will get a page not found if they are already being directed to mobile say I am using an iphone and I enter that url I will get a page not found so either oxwall needs to fix that to take you to the mobile index no matter what or they need to make a regular perma link
ross Team
ross Jan 28 '14
you cannot separate mobile from core this is not possible as they work as whole. 

as to the issue with displaying desktop version of the website instead of mobile, the problem is that WURFL cannot detect what mobile device you use. By the way what do you use?

Joseph
Joseph Jan 28 '14
the tablet we tested with was a  "Acer 200" the app we want built should take users to our mobile version problem is the app would detect phones as already mobile so if we use yoursite.com/mobile-version as our starting point it will tell those users page not found I think even if you are already using the mobile version if you click the link for mobile it should just return you to the sites index would make more sense rather than send them to a page that doesn't exist