We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Generate Username based on First Name and Last Name for Join process [Answered] | Forum

Shane
Shane Feb 3 '14
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could advise as to how I might go about it. or if anyone has done it already.

I would like to generate the username based on the First Name and Last name fields and then display it to the user ( if necessary append a number ie JohnSmith20 ) on the Join process

The Forum post is edited by Alia Apr 11 '14
Daisy Team
Daisy Mar 10 '14
Dear Shane,

It's possible by the core code modification only. Since you will need to replace the username profile question value with the composed value from your other two fields: First and Last Name - this will be a quite complicated modification which affects a lot of functionality.

All we can suggest is to check the following file (and all methods which are used in this file ) to see how the join works: /ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/join.php
Shane
Shane Mar 10 '14
Quote from Daisy Dear Shane,

It's possible by the core code modification only. Since you will need to replace the username profile question value with the composed value from your other two fields: First and Last Name - this will be a quite complicated modification which affects a lot of functionality.

All we can suggest is to check the following file (and all methods which are used in this file ) to see how the join works: /ow_system_plugins/base/controllers/join.php

Thanks for the start, will keep you posted
Olivier
Olivier Apr 7 '14
@Shane see that post.