We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

fixing the chat - Instant Chat | Forum

Fernando Blanco
Fernando Blanco Feb 11 '14
my chat is giving me problems basically it shows members that are not currently online and when hte person has mor that 35 friends i freezes for like five seconds, i need this fixed please. cus whats gona happen when the person has 1000 friends, my site is kind of popular lol. I can send the credentials via PM
Kees van den Bos
Kees van den Bos Feb 11 '14
I am having the same issues.. On page load it takes about 10 seconds before chat and online friends are fully loaded. Untill it's loaded there's no way to perform any actions; like, comment, scroll the page, click on links etc.. It's messing up the UX of the platform.
Fernando Blanco
Fernando Blanco Feb 11 '14
we are ALLL having this problem since oxwall opened, someone do something already lol.
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Mar 6 '14
Guys,
1. showing users that are actually ofline.

System "offlines" user right away if he logs out using "log out" button.
If user just closes the browser, system will log him out after 30 minutes. This is controlled by core platform in  ow_system_plugins/base/bol/user_service.php:method - deleteExpiredOnlineUsers.
Since "offlining" users is connected to Cron, you will need to make sure that it is configured properly on your server.

2. site performance when a lot of users are online in chat.

A lot depends on the hosting plan you have and server configuration in general. Let's assume that you are using shared hosting. For most of the shared hosting plans "a lot" can be defined as about 10 people online.

So 10 people are on your site.
1. most likely those people are adding content ( photo/blogs/forum and etc). Script is communicating  with your server creating certain load.
2. depending on your plugins, system also pings your server  constantly.

Instant chat pings the server every 5 seconds.

Activity notifications plugin pings every 30 seconds

Software as a whole pings every 60 seconds

Based on our experience, certain decrease in site's performance for sites with around 10 users online on shared hosting is a normal and expected situation.
The Forum post is edited by Oxwall Software Mar 6 '14
Fernando Blanco
Fernando Blanco Mar 8 '14
thank you but the problem is that if there are 40 of my friends logged in the chat takes time to load 40 heatds, what happens if 1000 friends are logged in at once.  anime kida is kind of big lol
The Forum post is edited by Fernando Blanco Mar 8 '14
Kenneth
Kenneth Mar 17 '14
Quote from Fernando Blanco thank you but the problem is that if there are 40 of my friends logged in the chat takes time to load 40 heatds, what happens if 1000 friends are logged in at once.  anime kida is kind of big lol

It's simple, upgrade your server. Chats take up a heavy load. One of the heaviest loads on a server other than video games or videos. I would suggest if you can't upgrade your server to use an off-site chat service.
Fernando Blanco
Fernando Blanco Mar 18 '14
also fixed, it was a java thing lol thanks for your help, my problem is solved, and yes bigger server helped.
Kostia
Kostia Mar 20 '14
hy, maybe you can tell how you fixed. I am using stand-alone server and i would like that chat wll load quickly as it possible
Erik
Erik Mar 21 '14
I have the issue where no on shows up in the chat box at all..

Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Apr 18 '14
Erik do you have friends on the website?
Kostia
Kostia Apr 18 '14
hey, how about instant chat..then there are more users, how to fix that another pages load quicker
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software May 5 '14
what other pages you're referring to?
Kostia
Kostia May 5 '14
all pages ;)
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software May 5 '14
you will need a quicker server in this case.
Kostia
Kostia May 6 '14
then it is ~10  friend online it load quick, but i cant make that in instant chat will show all users online, because all pages not loading or loading very slow
Alex
Alex Apr 19 '17
any updates? problem still exist. version 1.8.0

server: 16gb ram, quadcore xeon.

Site slows on load when have more than 1k friends

You do not have permission to reply this topic