We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

update ftp problems | Forum

Ed Domich
Ed Domich Aug 1 '11
okay guys, this is probably a simple problem, but i can't figure it out. when i installed the 1.2 update, i was prompted for ftp info. this took me to the install page, but it would not let me write to the same database because it had to empty. i lost everything with a clean install. now, i had a plugin update so i had to do the same thing. what do i have to do to perform updates without deleting my current database?
Ed Domich
Ed Domich Aug 2 '11
I don't understand. Do I need to back my db up every time I update anything? If so, how do I do that and properly reload it after the update?

im going to explain my situation again just in case:

1. i pressed the auto update button for version 1.2 in my admin panel.
2. it required my ftp settings so i filled them in.
3. it took me to the install page where i had to fill everything out again including my website name and email address.
4. i could not access my previous website without finishing the install which would overwrite my existing db.
5. i get an error stating "the database must be empty especially when..." or something similar to that
6. i had to delete my current db and start fresh with the 2.1
7. now im at the install page again because there was a plugin update

i just want to update my site without having to lose everything every time! help!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Domich
Ed Domich Aug 2 '11
on no. 6 i meant 1.2
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 2 '11
@ed.  If after an update you are seeing the install page you have a problem somewhere.
You do not need to use a clean database.  An update will upgrade the files  anad any db statements!  If you are seeing the install page it means your site has lost connection to the database!

Ed Domich
Ed Domich Aug 2 '11
how is this possible when my site is fine up until i click the auto-update? one concern i have is that when entering the ftp info on the update page, my login credentials never work. both times, ive had to visit my cpanel and change my password for the user before the update would take me to the install page. does this provide any clues as to why im losing connection to the db?
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 4 '11
That is indeed the question.  It shouldnt! It could be your host or something!  We have chatted in PM about this a little. 
Roger Haller
Roger Haller Jul 19 '14
Ed, I saw the same symptom, bu tit was my fault. I have two domains, each with its own control panel. I started to update Oxwall on the wrong domain and it presented me with the form to create a brand new instance.

I caught on, went to my other control panel and did my update in one easy step.

Now, if only finding the answer to my FTP settings for plugins was so simple

ross Team
ross Jul 20 '14
Roger this topic is of 2011
Rachel
Rachel Jan 18 '23

To solve these kinds of connection problems, turn on passive FTP transfer mode in your FTP program:

Enabling passive mode in Cyberduck

Enabling passive mode in Dreamweaver

Enabling passive mode in FileZilla

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Rachel
Rachel Mar 17 '23

The most common quick fix for this FTP connection error is to change the port number from 21 (default FTP port) to 22 (default SFTP port), or the other way around. ...

Disable your firewall and anti-virus software, as they could be interfering with the FTP server connection.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez