We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Careful while you chose a domain | Forum

Ashok Leader
Ashok Oct 1 '10
Quote from Michael

www.shuttertime.co.uk

I don't understand that why you people chose a longer domain with such a Secondary -domain like co.uk

.co.uk considered as sub-domain . Always make sure that your domain as a shorter name and on Top-level domain like .uk, .in,.ps , .ly , .gd or other TLDs .How ever you may not get short names on .com TLD .

And better to not chose .info domain for social networks .I will write an article on choosing the right extension for your social website in a few days .
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Oct 1 '10
Den Team
Den Oct 4 '10
As I know, .uk domain is closed for public registration. For those who lives in UK can open website only with co.uk domain.
Waiting for your article :)
Ashok Leader
Ashok Oct 4 '10
Quote from Addenster

As I know, .uk domain is closed for public registration.

yes ! But the domain names like .gd(grenada) ,.in(India) ,.ps (Persian) .ly(Libyan ) etc are available for any one with out registration restrictions
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Oct 4 '10
Michael Leader
Michael Oct 5 '10
Also .com can be more expensive. Besides shuttertime.com was taken...
I haven't had issues with .co.uk at the mo... and I AM in the UK...
Also I don't like .org or .net (sorry ox...) I think they are more related to opensource projects etc
Ashok Leader
Ashok Oct 6 '10
Quote from Michael

Also .com can be more expensive.

No you can get it for cheap .It 's cost starts from $7.99 and so...on depending on domain registrars which you choose.

Quote from Michael

Besides shuttertime.com was taken...

Try other short names and try a different TLD .We don't know what the people think about long URLs. They come to a decision by looking at the domain for first time . Short names do magic .

Quote from Michael

I haven't had issues with .co.uk at the mo... and I AM in the UK...

Also I don't like .org or .net (sorry ox...) I think they are more related to opensource projects etc

.net can be used for social netoworks .But again you may not get a short and fav domain name with it.

This is only my advice .Don't worry about your current domain:)
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Oct 6 '10
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 8 '10
Good advice there... Unfortunately for me the name existed in ning, the .com and .net were in use...

Also Yes it may be cheap for a .com name but my personal site is a .co.uk and the .com equiv. which i investigated was offered to me for $3000+! Not that interested in global presence!!!
Ashok Leader
Ashok Jan 18 '11
Quote from Bob
But of course I can cheat by asking a friend in UK to open one for me.
Many domain registrars let you purchase the domain extension you want by providing their own address.They call that option as 'Domain Trustee Service'.This is not illegal or cheat :)

There are several popular registrars which offers good support,gTLDs,cTLDs etc with cheap prices.But people consider just Godaddy or enom etc. :)

Please PM me for the registrar names.I believe that I should not promote third party websites on Oxwall's official forum.That is why you need to contact me directly .JustPM me or

Skype me :asshuvk

Tweet me:vkasshu

Drop me a mail :vkasshu that is at Goog...'s mail service
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Jan 18 '11
Jv
Jv Apr 13 '11
Different domains are used to where they are applicable to. If you are trying to register a website for a school then you will have to take extra steps and provide the needed papers to prove you are an institution. There are some domains that are applicable to specific places and you will only be able to where you are located.
Ashok Leader
Ashok Jul 7 '11
Quote from Jv
Different domains are used to where they are applicable to.

There is no variance in domain registration of Generic domians, some cTLDs, gTLDs for Business and personal uses , unless the domain have some restrictions from Registry . There are specific TLDs like .jobs ,.so.,no which may need formalities like you said

Quote from Bob
Every domain gives you a global presence,

The ccTLDs and any other Non-Generic domains affect SEO ranking . ' .COM ' is the best for SEO ranking
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Jul 8 '11
qheart
qheart Jul 7 '11
cTLD the best choice for local use and as identity of country. i have some domain with extension .id

.com is the most popular extension domain and best for seo. if you don't have you can try .co, it's same purpose with .com.

If you want gTLD with lower price than other, you can contact me, i will show up it for you..:)
Ashok Leader
Ashok Jul 8 '11
Quote from qheart
cTLD the best choice for local use and as identity of country. i have some domain with extension .id

Did you have it? I wonder where did you get a primary domain with ' .id ' . The registry is not offering registrations at primary level at the moment. Mind to let me know about your domain?

Quote from qheart
.com is the most popular extension domain and best for seo. if you don't have you can try .co, it's same purpose with .com.

.co is not at all compared to .com. Just the domain registrars advertise it as ' Equivalent to .com. Actually .co(Columbia) is a ccTLD just like .in , .id , .as etc .

Thank you!
The Forum post is edited by Ashok Jul 8 '11