We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Links into newsfeed | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Silvio
Silvio Feb 21 '14
after some (long) work i was able to let oxwall start :)

I solved the problem of email outbound not working 'cause (suggestion for everyone) is better u disable ipv6 from linux machines :)

i've still two problems....

The most important one is the FTP.. still doesnt works. I receive "Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files."

so then i enabled root as ftp user (manually and with filezilla words) but i receive the same error message.

the second important question is about Newsfeed links. If someone posts a link to an image i would that it could be visibile in a preview and that the link is opened in a new window. There is any solution/plugin for that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
ross Team
ross Feb 23 '14
As to the FTP problem, make sure that the ow_plugins folder has 755 permissions and the details you use for the FTP user are the same details of the user who is the owner of the ow_plugins folder

As to the newsfeed issue, can you please provide more details? don't you have a preview or you link does not open in a new window

Silvio
Silvio Feb 24 '14
the newsfeed problem was due the italian language.. i've set it to english and works ok.. now i'm working to translate the english 1.6 in italian and i will send it to you when done ;)

for the Ftp the folder...

1246189 drwxrwxrwx 27 root root 4.0K Feb 21 16:49 ow_plugins

it's 777 given to root and i use root user for ftp... Just to tell that i've tried to upload, download, read and write into this folder with filezilla with root user and it works.

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 1 '14
big security problem never ever use root to to any ftp work

set up another user in cpanel for ftp
Silvio
Silvio Mar 1 '14
I know it's a security problem but it's not the answer :) i've a second account named oxwall just to test ftp. Like root it can updload files and change dir with filezilla but not with Oxwall Ftp Panel.

I do not have cpanel.. it's centos 6.5 on a Virtual Server and i create the users manually
ross Team
ross Mar 3 '14
Silvio, we asked one of our community members with the same FTP problem to provide us access details to his website. As soon as our developers will take a look at that problem I will get back to you with the possible solution
Silvio
Silvio Mar 3 '14
if you need any help or test, consider that right now i've just installed a new oxwall on a centos 6.5... i will be glad to help you in any way.. if u need i test something just ask ;) this platform is amazing and o would contribute as much i can :)

Silvio
Silvio Mar 3 '14
actually the problem is :

Invalid FTP attributes! Provided user doesn't have permissions to overwrite files.

Consider that i've two users for ftp. Root and a local one created for the site. Both accounts with filezilla and winscp works correctly and are able to write into the site but not with ftp panel.

ow_plugins is 777

if u need any further information i'm glad to help.

ross Team
ross Mar 4 '14
Silvio, can you please, PM me your admin, FTP and Cpanel access details? I'll pass them to the developers to take a look. Thanks. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Mar 4 '14
Silvio
Silvio Mar 4 '14
Sent... Let me know when your people go to take a look because time to time i'm logged too working to prepare this social

Regards

ross Team
ross Mar 4 '14
Silvio, please provide us with admin access details as well. 
ross Team
ross Mar 12 '14
Silvio, our developers checked your problem with the FTP, turns out you use other FTP user details not the one you uploaded files and did installation in the first place. 
Silvio
Silvio Mar 12 '14
Hi Ross, thanks for the reply.

i've installed this test site as Root and could be obvious that another user could not overwrite files but why also if i use root in the oxwall ftp page could not overwrite files?

Regards

Silvio
tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 12 '14
Roos I have this problem and I am using the same user the site was set up with and even putting in root dose not let ftp work now I have tested the user I set the site up with in a few ftp clients and can over write mod and delete files 

I the only thing I have done is set some security in whm  

so this is not a user problem is a ftp script problem 

Quote from ross Silvio, our developers checked your problem with the FTP, turns out you use other FTP user details not the one you uploaded files and did installation in the first place. 

tammy harris
tammy harris Mar 12 '14
Roos I have this problem and I am using the same user the site was set up with and even putting in root dose not let ftp work now I have tested the user I set the site up with in a few ftp clients and can over write mod and delete files 

I the only thing I have done is set some security in whm  

so this is not a user problem is a ftp script problem 

Quote from ross Silvio, our developers checked your problem with the FTP, turns out you use other FTP user details not the one you uploaded files and did installation in the first place. 

ross Team
ross Mar 12 '14
Silvio you can check whether this is correct user by trying to edit any file via FTP, it won't let you. 

Tammy can you PM me your FTP access details, please?

Silvio
Silvio Mar 17 '14

Quote from ross er problem is a ftp

Sure Ross.. i will test it tomorrow and i will let you know...

Silvio
Silvio Mar 20 '14
I confirm that with filezilla i could edit any text under oxwall directories.
James Walter
James Walter Jan 2
A smooth ride is important for both you and your load. McKinney On-Site Truck Repair