We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

how can I add social share to newsfeed posts and videos and images. | Forum

Kris Corp
Kris Corp Feb 28 '14
how can I add social share to video photos and news feed posts. I need this. if this isn't possible then im looking for someone to make a plugin for this. users should be able to share all posts and media. im sure many people want this.
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Feb 28 '14
if you click the date underneath the post it takes you to the post's permalink where you can share the link using social share 
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Feb 28 '14
I want the social buttons to be on the side of the like and comment buttons. I want it obvious that you can share it. The social share plugin thats in the store only shows up if your site is for guest views. I have mine set where registered users can only see the site. So basically the social buttons disappeared.
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Mar 1 '14
Actually i figured it out. I got the standard plugin to work for videos, blogs, photos etc. How do i make it where it will work for newsfeed posts?
Daisy Team
Daisy Mar 19 '14
Kris, the social share plugin grabs the share content from the page meta info. Since the newsfeed is placed on the Index page, when you click the share button on the any newsfeed item, it will share the Index meta info, but not the items' one and it would be difficult to detect the specific content from the main page.  That's why we did not add the share buttons to the Newsfeed component. But if you open the item on the separate page (http://domain.com/newsfeed/86?ft=site), you will see the share buttons and when your click them to share the item content only.
Besides it would be difficult to show the share component right after the item about the status since this item shows up on ajax call.

Thus it's not a good idea to add the share buttons to the newsfeed.
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Mar 23 '14
Well when you share a photo from the photo section is still doesnt show the correct information. It shows the default share information.
Alia Team
Alia Mar 24 '14
Kris, you will need to report this to "Bug Reports & Troubleshooting" section of our forum.
But I did check this on our demo (http://demo.oxwall.org/photo#view-photo=36) and Social Sharing plugin shared correct data.

Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Mar 24 '14
i get the wrong picture when shared aswell 
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Mar 24 '14
UPDATE: this problem occurs if you have the og:image meta tag which is using that image as the default 
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Mar 25 '14
Mine is coming up like this still when i removed the custom og image. I hate this. It should capture the picture that's up for sharing. Its coming up blank or using the wrong image.
Attachments:
  Capture.PNG (290.4Kb)
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Mar 26 '14
Ive done all that. Still doesnt work. Im pretty good at web developing. Didnt work.
Daisy Team
Daisy Mar 27 '14
Kris, we use the standard API provided by Facebook. We do not make any changes in their functionality. All what our sharing plugin does is pass the information to the API and the og:image meta tag is required to show the image. Facebook caches the content which was passed earlier as the result you see the wrong image. This is the well-known problem and to solve it you need to clear the cache by using the instructions Kieron provided.
The Forum post is edited by Daisy Mar 27 '14
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Mar 27 '14
it worked for me 
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Mar 27 '14
it didnt work for me. ive been debugging and it the pictures are blank. Do i need to put any code in the header for the network.
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Mar 28 '14
nope 
Kris Corp
Kris Corp Mar 29 '14
Doesnt work properly for me. Strange. Can you help me?
Austeyr
Austeyr Mar 30 '14
besides just clearing cache via the link kieron provided have you tried actually clearing your browser cache, it's quite possible the image has changed just you don't see it because your browser has cached images of that file.
Krishnakumar
Krishnakumar Oct 11 '14

Quote from Aliia Kris, you will need to report this to "Bug Reports & Troubleshooting" section of our forum.
But I did check this on our demo (http://demo.oxwall.org/photo#view-photo=36) and Social Sharing plugin shared correct data.

May I know which plugin used to share the album or photos in facebook? I am using social share plugin but it's not displaying in photos and album section.
Daisy Team
Daisy Nov 4 '14
If you are using the Social Media Sharing plugin (http://www.oxwall.org/store/item/805), the share buttons will be added to the Photo View in the upcoming update.
The Forum post is edited by Daisy Nov 4 '14
Pages: 1 2 »