We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Very SLOW browsers | Forum

B Lim
B Lim Mar 5 '14
Sometimes, it takes 15 minutes to access the website we are developing using Oxwall.  What are the possible causes?  Is that the hosting company?  Besides Arvixe which we are using, are there any other hosting companies which support Oxwall functionalities?  

Will very much appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Abbey
Abbey Mar 5 '14
Hi, that does sound excessively slow. I'm guessing you're on shared?
Talk to your hosting company and complain about the speed.
I'm not a fan or arvixe but I wouldn't move hosting unless you can't get any satisfaction from arvixe.
I found hostgator very good, although I'm now with togglebox and I'm extremely happy there as you only pay for what you use not a plan, it's much easier to grow with and you don't have to wait if you need more of something, you have total control.
If you do decide to change, shop around, find someone who'll meet your needs.
ross Team
ross Mar 5 '14
Abbey +1

B Lim what kind of hosting server do you use?

B Lim
B Lim Mar 5 '14
Thanks, Abbey - I was on live chat with Arvixe 2 days ago and the guy said he would open a ticket but I've not heard back. Or seen the ticket. We were on hostgator previously and their services were much better before. Anyone tried Inmotionhosting before? Willl check out togglebox. Ross We're still in devt on Arvixe hosting. Thank you for responding
ross Team
ross Mar 5 '14
Please, contact Arvixe again and ask for the statistics. What exactly is causing this delayed loading of the script? Then get back to us. You can also remember them, that they are Oxwall recommended hosting providers. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Mar 5 '14
B Lim
B Lim Mar 7 '14
Thanks, Ross.   Someone fr Arvixe wrote back a day after I replied an email they sent out. Waiting to hear back.  The first week we got their hosting, their website crashed TWICE, rendering us unable to log in.  That happened again abt a week after and when i got in touch, Arvixe said it was their internal issue.  See attached.  I really hope things sort out soooon.  Thanks.
Attachments:
  Arvixe.jpg (158.98Kb)
ross Team
ross Mar 9 '14
B Lim, do you use shared hosting plan?
B Lim
B Lim Mar 10 '14
Yes cos developer advised that was sufficient.  Website still under development and there's hardly any traffic.
ross Team
ross Mar 10 '14
Anyway, if there's not any traffic request Arvixe to provide statistics, also which percentage of server CPU is allocated to your shared account, how many other users on that server? In a word we need more details on that case. 
B Lim
B Lim Mar 12 '14
Sorry I didn't check in earlier.  This was the response from Arvixe:

The issue was due to the server load. This is not something that can be avoided or that we can assure you it will not happen as it can occur by someone misconfiguring the site or someones account be compromised and in turn someone over utilizing resources and these issues can occur with shared hosting with any provider. With that said I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and if this does recur please reply back to this message and I will assist you further.

But didn't ask Arvixe anything else as we're busy working towards our soft launch.  Our developer started having difficulties accessing our website today.  It was slow at first but then seems to be ok later for me.  Don't know if stability is an issue for other Oxwall members ...

Hybrid
Hybrid Mar 12 '14
I have this same issue and am on a shared IP for my site.  However, mine isn't to that extreme of waiting for a page to load (15mins) - mine takes anywhere from 20-50seconds before it finally loads 'em.  There's several factors that come in to play for pagespeed.  Here are a few that come to mind:  The way things are scripted/coded (optimize) everything if you can, if on a shared IP you have the issue of other websites on that same IP slowing you down from their traffic and the potential of having your website blocked if someone on your same IP has their website blocked, etc...
ross Team
ross Mar 12 '14
It's a common case for a shared accounts. If you guys want your website to run fast, consider using at least VPS
Hybrid
Hybrid Mar 29 '14
Would obtaining a dedicated IP be better?  In the manner of pagespeed loading times?  I've been debating this as I still have a shared IP with my hosting company and lately (as my site grows with more members/users) the speed of all pages have drastically slowed down...rather than 20-50 seconds as I mentioned above, it is starting to take a few minutes before the pages load.  I've received a lot of bad feedback from my users saying my site takes to slow to load and am fearing that I will lose members because of such.

I have contacted my hosting company about this, but they didn't help to much - all they said was that "there are a few things slowing down your site, and recommend you use pagespeedgrader.com" - and well...once I checked that, the main issue that is slowing down my site is images.  So with all that being said, how am I able to optimize images on my site if I am not uploading them (my users are)...isn't there a built-in script that optimizes uploaded images?  If not, I think this should definitely be something oxwall should focus on.

Pete
Pete Mar 29 '14
 to wait 15 mins for a browser to load ,that is a terrible server that you or on ,and I would find another webhost ,I am on shared hosting ,and no way should any shared host be that slow
Hybrid
Hybrid Mar 29 '14
so instead of setting cron to every minute, you set your to every 15 minutes?
Hybrid
Hybrid Mar 30 '14
Quite right you are Chris_W.  Thank you for that bit of information you provided.  Besides changing the cron job to every 15 minutes from every minute, I also checked to see if any repairs were needed on all my tables in my database (all were ok), and then optimized all tables in the database.  Doing so, helped increase pagespeed performance of my site by at least 20-30%.  There are still a few things that need to be done to help improve it, but this helped significantly!

Other options may include obtaining a VPS, dedicated IP, using CloudFlare services, Amazon S3, RackSpace (I think thats what its called), CDNs, optimizing everything file/image wise that you can and a few other things...

At the moment, images seem to be my biggest concern...If I find any useful material in which to help optimize images that users upload to a site, I'll make a new topic or post it here.  And if anyone else has any useful tips, I think it would be a great idea to share them as it will only benefit all oxwall users!

Purusothaman Ramanujam
I see that you have mentioned "developing".

When you have enabled DEBUG and DEV mode, it will make your site to load very sloowwwwwwwwww than any developer would expect.

That's the thing that I hate here. But you can not develop with that.

Many time due to this, PHP timeout occurs. DEV/DEBUG mode does all stuffs related to folder move and theme stuffs.
Tom
Tom Mar 5 '15
I am having problems too with Arvixe, and I am considering dumping them soon. I only have 35 members on my site (I have yet to advertise) and I'm already getting complaints that the server is slow. They offered me a trail on a business class, which I may take them up on, but I am wondering it I am with the wrong company all together. It's not exactly easy to move a site like this and I am getting frustrated that I am on my 3rd hosting company and I am still getting crap service. I don't mind paying a premium if the site shows dramatic improvement. I'm currently on the $3-4 a month, but Business is $22 /mo.

Another consideration I am thinking of is simply making my own server at my home. Atm, I am not using hardly any bandwidth and I've been building computers since I was 12, setting up a server is new to me, but it's not impossible and whatever "licencing" they are paying you would be sure they are passing that a long to you anyway, plus an up charge.

If they simply got their head out of their ass and told me exactly what to do without getting into the dedicated box area just yet,.. sigh,.. so little support from them...
The Forum post is edited by Tom Mar 5 '15
Arvixe QA
Arvixe QA Mar 6 '15
I'm sorry to hear that you are currently having issues. I would recommend taking us up on the BusinessClass trial offer. We will copy the account to the new server for you so you can begin testing. If you wish to proceed please reply to the current ticket and we will begin the move.
Hybrid
Hybrid Mar 6 '15
@Tom,

If you are on a shared server, your site will be slow - especially when you start advertising and growing your community.  Obtaining a dedicated server, a VPS and/or a dedicated IP is where you need to be.  This software takes a lot and if you are on a shared server, it means you share your websites IP with other websites which you may not know, affects page speed, simply because you do not know how many others are using your shared IP.

If you are serious about obtaining more, look into "http://www.justhost.com" - They have reasonable and affordable prices, the domain name registration is free (if you are a first time customer and/or if you already obtain your domain name), and they do transfers.

I haven't experienced Arvixe, but if you are not satisfied with them, I'd suggest JustHost - I've been with them for years and they are a great hosting company.  And if your site is still relatively small, I'd suggest making the transfer asap before your community gets bigger.

I'd recommend the "Standard" VPS package to get you started - you will, I'm sure, notice a drastic improvement in pagespeed and loading times.

Just my two cents :) - Best of luck!

Pages: 1 2 »