We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Cron job & 'use of resources' - beware! | Forum

Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 22 '14
I recently have been having 'hiccup' problems accessing mysql database on all of my websites (5 total, very little traffic in all of them). After a lot of debate between support & me, where the hosting company support kept 'pointing out' that I have an 'excess use of resources' on my account and tried to convince me to upgrade to a more expensive plan, they finally suggested that the problem may be caused by the Oxwall cron job being run every minute, and recommended changing that to 30 minutes.

Well, all of my websites have very little traffic. The topic on them is restricted to a specific crafts hobby that is not that popular. 

I noticed that the bandwidth use raised significantly since August last year, when the hosting company changed the plans they sell and tied them to such 'resource use' thing. 

What I really want to say here is: beware of those changes in policies by your webhosting company. Do NOT use HUB to install Oxwall, because even if nobody goes there, and there is really a minimum activity, the change in their metrics will make it look like your website is being accessed by 3 billion people everyday... 

I'm not complaining about Oxwall, but just wanted to give you heads up. If Hub did that, other hosting companies might do the same... :(

Attached you can see the 'resource use' graph they keep using against me, and the bandwidth too. 

I'm stuck with them for another 2 years, as I have already paid for 3. But if you are still hunting for a webhosting company, do not choose them!

Attachments:
  resource_usage.png (47.14Kb)
  Bandwidth.png (48.02Kb)
Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 23 '14
great tip, but I'm not sure I undestand how to do this, all I have to do is add the extra command in the end, with one ">" or two ">>"?

I'm using this command, is the only one that worked:

curl -s http://www.[mydomain]/[folder where oxwall is]/ow_cron/run.php

should it be written as:

curl -s http://www.[mydomain]/[folder where oxwall is]/ow_cron/run.php >> curl -s http://www.[mydomain]/[folder where oxwall is]/ow_logs/cron.txt 2>&1 

??

Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 23 '14
It seems to be working, at least I didn't see any error entry on the log file... :)

the cpanel has this suggestion to stop emails: 

You can have cron send an email everytime it runs a command. If you do not want an email to be sent for an individual cron job you can redirect the command's output to /dev/null like this: mycommand >/dev/null 2>&1 

Is it necessary to add this part ( > /dev/null 2:&1) to the command line or the command you wrote will be enough?

I hope this will change the webhosting 'reading' of the alleged 'excessive resource usage' or whatever it is they started doing there... 

I'll keep you posted. I need at least 24 hours to see any difference in their reports. :)

Thanks!

Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 23 '14
PS: if I try to read the file by typing its URL address (www . mydomain / folder / ow_logs / cron.txt) I get a 403 forbidden message. Is it supposed to be like that? I did change the permissions to 777
Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 23 '14
yes.

And I also tried this:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/[foldername]/ow_logs/

Because my oxwall is not installed in the root, but in a folder

I don't know if any of these following lines would affect anything, but I added them as per suggestion of the support to minimize bandwidth usage (and some are supposed to block access by users in China, Russian * India, not sure it'll actually work, but...):

# compress text, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and XML

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript

# remove browser bugs

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

Header append Vary User-Agent

<Files 403.shtml>

order allow,deny

allow from all

</Files>

SetEnvIf CF-IPCountry CN BuzzOff=1

SetEnvIf CF-IPCountry RU BuzzOff=1

SetEnvIf CF-IPCountry IN BuzzOff=1

Order allow,deny

Allow from all

Deny from env=BuzzOff

The Forum post is edited by Evelyne Mar 23 '14
Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 23 '14
it did have it... :) I thought it was the problem, but wasn't sure enough to delete on my own... Now I deleted and problem (403) solved!

Tomorrow I'll post about the 'usage' report I get.

Thank you Chris W!!!

Evelyne
Evelyne Mar 24 '14
After the changes, bandwidth report shows activity close to zero in the past 24 hours. (Thanks again Chris W!)

Meanwhile, their new mysterious report tool, "resource usage", keeps showing imaginary off-the-charts usage.

I'm telling you, keep away from webhostinghub.com, all they want is to make you spend money with expensive plans that you have no use for!

Attachments:
  resource_usage2.png (55.59Kb)
  Bandwidth2.png (42.91Kb)