We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Create Group but don't join [Answered] | Forum

Jeff Murray
Jeff Murray Mar 24 '14
I want to, as the admin, to create groups and be the only one to invite. When I know how to do, the question is how can i do that without joining the group. I don't want to be a member.
The Forum post is edited by Alia Apr 14 '14
ross Team
ross Mar 25 '14
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Daniel Kumitz
Daniel Kumitz Apr 4 '14
My problem may be related, I would like to be able to create groups as admin and invite members (i.e. set up a group for them), but I am required to make all of them my friends first (which is a redundant activity, as I am the administrator). Thus I would also like to invite without being a member and without having to be friends with invitees.

Many thanks!
Alia Team
Alia Apr 11 '14
Jeff, this requires quite complex changes within the "Groups" plugin. You will need to modify ow_plugin/groups/controllers/groups.php ( public function create() )  and /groups/bol/service.php (public function addUser () ) .
Alia Team
Alia Apr 11 '14
Daniel, that is how "Friends" and "Groups" plugins works together. If you deactive "Friends" plugin, you will be able to invite all users from your site. What you would like to achieve also requires some custom code modifications.

1. "I would also like to invite without being a member"

See my reply to Jeff.

2. "and without having to be friends with invitees.".

You will need to edit ow_plugins/groups/components/invite_widget.php:

if ( OW::getEventManager()->call('plugin.friends') )
        {
            $users = OW::getEventManager()->call('plugin.friends.get_friend_list', array(
                'userId' => $userId,
                'count' => 100
            ));
        }

3. Even more complex changes are required if you would like to make modifications #1 and #2 for admin only ( and regular way for all other users).

On another note, there is a plugin up in the store that allows admin to become friends with everybody automatically. You might want to check it out.
Daniel Kumitz
Daniel Kumitz Apr 11 '14
Hey Aliia,

thanks so much!

I have found and purchased the "adminpal" plugin, seems to be a great workaround.

Thanks again!
Daniel
Alia Team
Alia Apr 14 '14
You are welcome =)

Marking this ticket "Answered" for now.

Jeff, let me know if you get any further questions.