We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

How Do I Disable IPv6 in Run.pho? / Too many TCP Socket Connections | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Erik Zen
Erik Zen Aug 12 '11
Hi,

My run.php generates the following error:

postdrop: warning: inet_protocols: IPv6 support is disabled: Address family not supported by protocol
postdrop: warning: inet_protocols: configuring for IPv4 support only

The support at my ISP (Hostgator) told me that they don't support IPv6.  So I should disable IPv6 in the script.  Can anybody tell me how I can do that?

Initially I didn't take it seriously, since things look like they would still run.  But now I'm told I have too many TCP socket connections, and too many open files.  Even the VPS is not equipped to handle that.  (I just upgraded a couple of months ago from shared hosting.)  If my site keeps doing that, I'll need a dedicated server.

I can't afford a dedicated server.  So I was thinking, could the socket connections be caused by the incompatibility with IPv6?  If so, it's the same question.  If not, I guess there are the 2nd question: how can I make sure the TCP connections are properly closed?

Thanks in advance!

Erik
Den Team
Den Aug 16 '11
Hello
It seems that you need to contact your hosting provider about this.
Tanner
Tanner Jan 27 '22
IPv6 is a protocol used to re-route traffic on networks and many times is the culprit behind slow Internet speeds. By disabling IPv6, you will be able to keep the speed you are paying for. IPv6 has been known to cause problems with VPNs and video streaming services. If you are running an older computer with Windows XP or Vista, it may not work at all, or hinder your performance greatly by using unnecessary resources. I have gotten the help of https://www.ultraupdates.com/2020/05/how-to-study-digital-marketing-online-for-free/ article to learn digital marketing for free but slow internet speed is causing hindrance. I am truly troubled because of this performance.