We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Update crashed my site | Forum

Jared
Jared Aug 14 '11
Originally installed Oxwall software through Softaculous.
This meant all updates had to be done manually.
Backed up files.
Followed crappy instruction exactly.
Site layout was ruined.
All attempts to fix failed.
Site no longer exists.
Months of work gone.
Had such high hopes for my site... everything was working perfectly before update.  Now its gone.
Would never recommend this software to anyone.
Lack of instruction or support is pathetic.
An open forum is not good support.
You people really need to get your shit straight if you are going to provide software like this.
Jared
Jared Aug 14 '11
Amateurs
Benjamin
Benjamin Aug 15 '11
Just restore your backup and have a little patience. There must be a reason for the problems Oxwall is in right now...
Den Team
Den Aug 16 '11
Sorry for delay. 
@Jared
Would you give more details? What error did you get after update? What is your site URL?
Den Team
Den Aug 16 '11
Topic was moved from General Chat.
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 23 '11
Any resolve to this?
Dantes
Dantes Aug 23 '11
there is no need to resolve nothing was just that guy let in know he is not going to use oxwall anymore :P
Michael Leader
Michael Aug 25 '11
oh well...
Eddie Hakan
Eddie Hakan Dec 16 '11
so.. i will take a precaution to update oxwall later.. maybe our edited script also gone after update.. ouchh..!! this will hurt.. unless i remember what i've done before.. 
Keelan Leader
Keelan Dec 16 '11
You are told multiple times that hard code edits will be over written you should make a nice list with all your hard codes :) Never update your main site first always work out from a dev site before moving it over.
Michael Leader
Michael Dec 18 '11
Sorry but something else that needed brought up back then...  (sorry for the mud slinging)
Quote from Jared Amateurs
Who is the amateur who doesn't take a backup before any major work is done to their site and doesnt test first!   Also a search would reveal there is no real benefit to installing using softaculous which tended to be more hassle than a help!

Bloody amateurs!!!  (LOL)
Rachel
Rachel Jan 18 '23

Tips to recover your crashed website

Check that your website is actually down. Before the alarm bells go off, ensure there's a problem with your website in the first place. 

Check for any safety issues.

Implement escalation plans. 

Limit the damage. 

Resolve the issue. 

Communicate the fix.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez