We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

[RESOLVED] Users Online Issue | Forum

Musik
Musik Apr 3 '14
I seem to have an issue with my site. Any user who has come online in the last few days is still listed as online. For instance, when there are only 8 users actually online, the site will display upwards of 25 - 30 users online.

What's strange is that it's been working perfectly up till now and I made no changes to my cron or other back-end items. Is this a cron, cookie, or something with my server? Any advice would be helpful so I can begin to troubleshoot. Thanks!

So far, I've cleared the cache and deleted/re-set up my cron. This didn't resolve the issue so far.
The Forum post is edited by Musik Apr 11 '14
Musik
Musik Apr 7 '14
/bump

The issue continues. Is anyone else experiencing this issue and/or could assist in finding a solution? Thank you.
Hybrid
Hybrid Apr 7 '14
I have been having this issue pretty much since day 1...I have some users who never log out - however, according to the oxwall script - it should log out users if no activity is being performed within 30 minutes.  So after a user logs in - then closes the browser or doesn't do anything on the site for 30 minutes - it continues to keep them logged in instead of logging them out like it should...

This has never worked on my end for some reason and I know my cron is working and setup correctly (I think...), otherwise I wouldn't be receiving notifications and being able to send out and receive mass mailings...

ross Team
ross Apr 9 '14
Hybrid, 

Your cron is not working properly, I noticed your created another topic about not receiving notifications on plugin updates  and now this topic. Definitely your cron is not configured properly. 

Musik
Musik Apr 9 '14

Quote from ross Hybrid, 

Your cron is not working properly, I noticed your created another topic about not receiving notifications on plugin updates  and now this topic. Definitely your cron is not configured properly. 

Thanks for getting to the bottom of the issue and helping out Hybrid, ross. Any chance that's the root of my problem as well, or is something else amiss?
Hybrid
Hybrid Apr 9 '14
How do we "For Sure" know if our cron is working?  I am using this syntax command line which should run every 15 minutes as opposed to every minute:

lynx http://www.yoursite.com/ow_cron/run.php

*/15 * * * *

The Forum post is edited by Hybrid Apr 9 '14
ross Team
ross Apr 9 '14
Ari, the same applies to you. Please contact your hosting provider and request the right command to use for the cron jobs. 
Musik
Musik Apr 11 '14
Thanks, ross. I feel like a derp. Something changed on the back end and it messed with my cron. I fixed it - thanks for taking a look! Marking as resolved.
ross Team
ross Apr 13 '14
Good to know. Thanks.