We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Spam topics on the oxwall forums | Forum

Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Apr 4 '14
more and more spam topics about "weight loss" etc are popping up on the oxwall forum and it seems like there is more spam threads here than actual oxwall users asking questions 
The Forum post is edited by Kieron H Apr 4 '14
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Apr 5 '14
im talking about this forum on oxwall.org 
bobbi
bobbi Apr 5 '14
this is why i started a post in the general forum, oxwall needs moderators to clear the spam, and remove or suspend the accounts, if the regulars dealt the spammers then ross etc can deal with peoples site issues
Kieron H Leader
Kieron H Apr 5 '14
oh and yep i agree it would help solve this problem 
John
John Apr 5 '14
In another similar thread we were told that a moderator cleans up the Spam on a Monday. It seems the forum is not moderated during the weekend.

http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/17621

That means, any spammer who posts on Tuesday has a whole week for his/her spam to choke the forum.
The Forum post is edited by John Apr 5 '14
Pete
Pete Apr 10 '14
All this spam is going to end up putting people of joining the oxwall forum
bobbi
bobbi Apr 10 '14
in the post i started, ross said he cannot give the oxwall members mod rights as we would be able to delete anyone any post not just spam

i agree with all the spam here any one will think the site is umanned and neglected
Abbey
Abbey Apr 16 '14
yeah... I'm sick of the spam.... puts me off even browsing the forum
Den Team
Den Apr 24 '14
Thanks for bringing this up. There are more and more spam here. The problem is that this is a human spam, from different IPs and verified emails. They act like a real persons. That's why it is impossible to catch them automatically. I suppose we will have to ask community's assistance to beat them, but there are some technical tools required for this. This is what we are working on for now :)
John
John Apr 24 '14
Hi Den, Indeed there are community tools to deal with "most" spam, but the humans are relentless. I was a spam moderator (my only role) for a forum carrying less traffic than this one and the only thing that saved us was approving all new members. We completely rid the forum of spam in days using this technique and the tools you're considering.

Also, I have noticed a huge difference in the past week. Well done.

John
Kevin Ramsoobhag
Kevin Ramsoobhag Apr 24 '14
Hi Guys, I have done a couple things to handle my "spam crew" 

1. I spam them back. I have added a new role which i assign to them. Then i send mass mails to that role constantly. All my deal, offers, FB Post, tweets, updates, you name it they get it.

2. I use the "Admin Tools" plugin to change their Avatar and profile details. 

3. And finally, when we see them online we constantly engage them.

The thing is they keep logging back in, which is good for new prospective users, they always see users online. 

I have a single moderator, who is collage student and he seems to be having fun with them for now. I do hope some of these suggestions help

Den Team
Den Apr 29 '14
Kevin,

I guess, you have applied the most working solution, I give it 5 stars :) 

John,

Thanks for advising, we will consider it.