We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

oxwall this forum needs moderators | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
bobbi
bobbi Apr 5 '14
every time i come here this forum has been spammed to death,

oxwall you need some of your regulars to moderate if they want to, i come here everyday as i have learnt a lot from other peoples problems and helped few along the way, but the spam here is out of control

give a few of us mod rights so we can keep the forum spam free it is 8.30am uk time time right now and again spammers everywhere, it probably puts genuine users off they will think no one is here to help because of the spam

please get some moderators asap i will volunteer for this role a forum to help people needs to. be free of spammers

Shaun
Shaun Apr 5 '14
I agree. It does put you off a little and there does seem to alot of it appearing lately.

I happily volunteer but also second bobbi. I think you make a great forum moderator.

Jeff Murray
Jeff Murray Apr 5 '14
My first day on this forum I just got off cause of the spam. I got back on because well I cant do this without help. I may not be able to help a whole lot with fixing issues with other peoples websites (i am not a programmer just a beginner website designer) but i could definitely delete some spam posts.
John
John Apr 5 '14
I was a spam moderator on the AppGini Form. It probably had no more than a hundred members, but there were six spam moderators. That was their only job. Each mod was from a different time zone and any spam lasted for about 30 minutes.

The first post on that forum had to be approved and it was astonishing how many first posts were spam. I don't think that facility exists on the Oxwall Forum.
bobbi
bobbi Apr 6 '14
This forum does need mods just to deal with spam then ross etc can focus on helping people rather than removing spammers
ross Team
ross Apr 6 '14
We can't give you guys moderators right as you'll be able delete not only spam posts but others. As to the spam posts, our team works Monday Friday 10 am -7pm GMT +6 and within this schedule spam posts are deleted asap. 
John
John Apr 7 '14

Quote from ross We can't give you guys moderators right as you'll be able delete not only spam posts but others. 

I don't wish to sound rude Ross because it's unintended.

Surely any moderator can do that if they wanted to? It doesn't need our talent!

In the case of AppGini, the developer(s) chose the moderators and I guess that's probably how you got your job too.

I can assure you, I could have deleted the entire Appgini forum if I wanted to, but I felt privileged to be asked to be a moderator there and accepted my responsibility.

It won't take long for spammers to work out that posting late Monday gives them an entire week to push their wares. That could very easily amount to 1,000 plus messages a week in no time flat.

Somehow I think some have cottoned on already and it won't long before every spammer on Earth knows.

The Forum post is edited by John Apr 7 '14