We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Notifications also for group posts in the newsfeed (not the wall)? - Groups | Forum

Marc Luellmann
Marc Luellmann Apr 22 '14
Our members had the need to like and comment posts. But Newsfeed was not available. Deactivation and activation of both Newsfeed and Groups solved the problem. Now we have replaced the Wall by Newsfeed.

But now our members complain that they are not being notified anymore when other members make posts in the Newsfeed of the Groups where they are member of.

Is there a way to activate notifications also for posts in the Newsfeed?

Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software May 5 '14
Make a suggestion on uservoice, please.
Christian
Christian Oct 18 '14
same problem, is there any solution?
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Oct 20 '14
Seem my reply above.
Christian
Christian Oct 21 '14
Now I posted it on uservoice tough it is a bug and no feature request!
Marc Luellmann
Marc Luellmann Oct 27 '14

Yes, I agree with you, this is not a feature request, it is a bug. And this bug is a very frustrating issue for us. We have actually lost alot of interest of our members in our page since we don't get notified anymore for new Group Posts.

Out of desperation we even ordered a company called MindCrackers (mentioned on oxwall.org as one of the Support companies) to work on this issue. They offered us a solution for 120$. But unfortunately they also did not get it to work despite paying them the full sum.

inside83
inside83 Oct 28 '14
same here

no notification for groups and events

if a user RSVPs an event, there is no notification for the event creator

Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Oct 29 '14
There's a notification for a wall comment both for group and event.
There's no notification for group newsfeed. If you want to change this behavior this is considered as a custom code modification of the plugin. Also you can make a suggestion on uservoice.
Marc Luellmann
Marc Luellmann Oct 29 '14
I am Aware of that and that is why we employed one of your recommended Support companies to modify this. Unfortunately so far MindCrackers have not been able to adjust the code so that we get notifications, despite the fact that they received the money in advance.
matt
matt Nov 14 '14
It's not about sharing it with other members of the website - its about sharing news with the individual user. The group member. Deliberately ignoring that fact, and directing us to user voice seem childish.

You can sit in your ivory development tower all you like. But real world use, time and time again shows that if community users get an email notification about what they are interested in, they will come back to the site and participate. This is how it works, weather you like it or not. And this is what is missing, from the group function at the moment.

Our admins, have to make  a group wall post, duplicating the newsfeed function of the group - to ensure that group members (who are members of multiple groups) see what is going on.

Regards,

Matt

inside83
inside83 Nov 14 '14
@matt

Totally agree!

Groups and events have to have notifications - its a bug not a new feature.

Alex Leeor
Alex Leeor Nov 20 '14
It seems to work now.. i get notifications on group newsfeed posts and comments.l maybe the latest updates fixed this?

It would be greatnto get the notification link to the actual post rathe than the top of the page.. im hoping this is added as a new feature soon! Facebook does it really well and on busy pages u are hard pressed to find the post even when you click th notification...

Christian
Christian Nov 21 '14
what update did fix that, alex?
Oxwall Software
Oxwall Software Nov 24 '14
Alex, please provide a screenshot of the notification you get after someone posts in the newsfeed
You do not have permission to reply this topic