We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Looking For A Developer to create a New Like / Dislike Plugin | Forum

Mark
Mark Apr 26 '14

Looking for a developer to create this feature -

what to have a "Like Button" and "Dislike" Button for Post, Comments, photos, videos, forum post. Basically anywhere post or comment can be made.

The Major complaint I am getting from our members is that you can not Like a comment - So I would like to have the option for Like and Dislike site wide

If someone is interested in creating this plugin, I am willing to pay for your service.

Please Contact Me

John
John Apr 26 '14
You're looking for trouble if you allow people to dislike stuff. It may be okay for YouTube with over a billion members, but not good for a smaller group. Even FB doesn't have it.

I have a star rating system on my test site and I assume it's part of Oxwall's core because it's not a specific plugin.

Surely "Like" is the same as 4 or 5 stars and dislike is NOT voting at all. Sadly the MacDonalds syndrome has crept into the Internet and EVERY site has to be the same as Facebook. It makes me mad because FB is a load of crap.  If FB has likes, we must have likes and the logon page must look the same, and on and on it goes.

Mark
Mark Apr 26 '14

The main thing I am looking for is the ability to "like" comments the dislike option was suggested by members of the site.

I am not completely sold on the idea of a "dislike" button, but at the request of the site members, I thought I would see about having an option for it.

One thing would be to make it an Admin option of turning On or Off the "Dislike".

I am still very serious about having the "like" on all post including comments - this is a daily complaint from all the members on our site. I am willing to pay a developer to make this happen. Create a new plugin or if the original developer would update the current plugin to include it on comments, maybe make it like mentioned above, Have the Admin option of turning on or off the buttons on comments.

I do appreciate your input and it does make sense, like I said, only posting what members are wanting :)

John
John Apr 26 '14
Honestly Mark, if you listen to your members, your site will be a facebook clone inside a month. You can't pull any statistics from the Oxwall site but on the Elgg plugins site, any facebook look-alike plugin is download 100 or more times compared to any other one. The FB theme has been downloaded more than all the other themes put together.

I thought the star rating was well done.

Good luck.
Mark
Mark Apr 26 '14

ok - I understand this -

we am not looking to "clone" facebook.

Is there anyway to setup a "like" button on comments? that's all we are really looking for as a site, the members are voicing their opinions and I understand that some request are based off the Facebook system. We as a community site, need to make decisions that will best suit the site and its members. With that in mind, we can forget most of the request.

I personally do want the like button on comments - other than that - I am good with the not implementing the other request from the members.

Please let me know if you or someone is willing to create this feature -

Mark
Mark Apr 26 '14
I don't understand the star rating - it is not available on comments - that would even be a good feature for rating a comment instead "liking" the comment - but how would that work - I am assuming that it calculates how many members selected which star and does a average to show the rating via stars?
Paul Joseph
Paul Joseph May 17 '14
I noticed this guy John responds to a lot of posts but never actually address your question - just rambles on and on and on - simple nonsense - he did it to me once.
John
John May 17 '14
@Mr Joseph, that guy John also helps a lot of people within minutes of their questions appearing on the forum. How about you? Also, do you really think your wasted comment above is more constructive that the comment I made? Haven't you ever heard of the word "Debate"? At least I got Mark thinking, all you did was "troll" and unpleasantly refer to someone as "That guy". If there was a dislike button on this forum. I would certainly use it on your post!
Paul Joseph
Paul Joseph May 17 '14
John, I am sure you are a nice guy and it is great that you help so many people on this site. 

I am new here and certainly didn't mean any disrespect by my comment, but sometimes when people ask a direct question that are wanting a direct answer that addresses the question.

Now, I must ask, is it possible to add the option of a dislike button. :)

John
John May 18 '14
@Paul, thank you for your response. As you are new here, there are a few things you need to understand about this and any other forum. A forum is a place where people can ask questions and exchange ideas. It is NOT a place where you are obliged to answer a question directly if you feel that the person making the request may consider other alternatives. You will discover threads on this forum where dozens of people have responded but not one person has come up with an answer. That's what forum's are for - Discussion.

Also, by answering a post like we both did, it bumps it to the top of the threads. Bumping is a common practice but must be done in moderation.

A NO, NO on any forum is what they call "Cross Posting". That's when you post something in one area and then ask the same thing in another. On some forums you would be banned immediately. I raise this because you have posted here and also posted the same question yourself elsewhere on the forum. Not exactly Cross Posting, but close to it. The word is, search first and use a suitable thread before starting your own.

Good luck and enjoy, but please read the sticky's, especially the one about not expecting answers immediately. Often the mods may need to talk with a developer before answering you.

I find dislike buttons offensive, but for each their own. Maybe you can encourage a Plugin developer to create one, but I don't see to many people asking for it.

@Mark. Sorry for Hijacking your thread.

John