We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

+FollowSymLinks | Forum

Dax
Dax Aug 29 '11
hello guys. i was having an error runing the oxwall. my hosting support help found this:"I've commented this command line of the .htaccess file stored into the /www/*************/ilegales folder:  Options +FollowSymLinks.."  and tell me to ask here to :Hello,
Could you please aks the Oxwall Community Software support staff whether is possible to run the application without using the Options +FollowSymLinks Apache directive. Most probably this is causing the problem.
The Forum post is edited by Dax Aug 29 '11
Den Team
Den Aug 30 '11
Topic was moved from General Questions.
Den Team
Den Aug 30 '11
Sorry, we can't remove it from default version cos it works on mos hostings.
tracy
tracy Feb 27 '12
I'm afraid there are going to be many hosting sites that block the symlinks option. too many people abusing the servers using the symlinks....there are no free hosting companies that will let you install oxwall anymore...I'm afraid that oxwall will go the way of the sony betamax which really sucks...so unless you have you're own server or you want to use the servers oxwall offers, you're out of luck..
tracy
tracy Feb 27 '12
I wonder if it would be too much trouble to make a script that has direct links instead of symlinks so that it will work on all the hosting sites?
tracy
tracy Feb 27 '12
i figured out what was the problem.....
replace followsymlinks with this +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch and put a slash in front of the index.php at the bottom of the code as follows:

Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
RewriteEngine On

AddEncoding gzip .gz
AddEncoding gzip .gzip
<FilesMatch "\.(js.gz|js.gzip)$">
  ForceType text/javascript
</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch "\.(css.gz|css.gzip)$">
  ForceType text/css
</FilesMatch>

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} .*/http-bind
RewriteRule (.*) /http-bind [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index\.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/ow_updates/index\.php
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/ow_updates/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.php|\.html|\.htm|\.feed|robots\.txt|\.raw|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) /index.php

tracy
tracy Feb 27 '12
the original .htaccess doesn't have the slash in front of index.php maybe this can be updated by someone in this version......
Mark
Mark Feb 27 '12
the slash was updated in 1.3 or 1.3.1