We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

OxWall loads more slower in IE/Safari family? | Forum

Andre Pan
Andre Pan Sep 18 '11
I recorded the video comparing OxWall homepage loading speed in Camino on MacOS LP, IE9 on Win Vista 32, Chrome Lite on Android 2.3, and Safari Lite on iPod Touch 4. I was not timing them, so it's not for accuracy, only addressing the possible issue.

Finally, Camino won the medal, it rendered the page in light speed. IE9 took the second place but far behind Camino showing huge latency, you may see the gray background show up very quickly which indicated the establishment of communication with the server was no problem, then it sticked for almost 40sec till the full page displayed.

Chrome Lite made even with Safari Lite, but only ate the dust of the other two. But actually, Chrome/Firefox/Camino all load OxWall in a flash, except Safari, sharing the same snail speed with its little brother Safari Lite.

What's up with IE and Safari?
The Forum post is edited by Andre Pan Sep 18 '11
Andre Pan
Andre Pan Sep 21 '11
Basically I think I found out WHY.

When I turn on VPN, voila, the site loads as fast as it can. You see, I'm in Shanghai, China, that means we're carefully "protected" by our big boss, you know what I mean, with Facebook Connect enabled, the script in meta header of the homepage can't not be loaded without VPN or SSH or something anti-GFW.

My suggestion is, delay the loading of Facebook Connect script in homepage header, say, load it onDocumentReady so that it will not stop the whole page's loading until a connection timeout.
Den Team
Den Sep 22 '11
Thanks for sharing info Andre.