We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Oxwall on WAMP | Forum

Pauline
Pauline Jun 12 '14
I'm using Windows 7 and WAMP server. I want to install oxwall locally, before I upload it to my server, because I want to practice/learn it beforehand. 

My wamp is working properly, with rewrite_module in Apache turned on. I have no problems whatsoever with other installations with it, like CMSes. 

Steps I made:

1. Turned on WAMP

2. Created an OXWALL folder in WWW. And extracted full archive there.

3. Created OXWALL database in phpmyadmin.

4. Went to localhost/oxwall and filled up proper fields.

Host: localhost

User: root

Password: <none>

Database name: oxwall

Table Prefix: ox_

Problem comes when:

I'm already on the finalizing install. It says it could not connect to database. I'm pretty sure that all the time I just use, <localhost - root - no password> in everything I do, since i'm just testing on my laptop.

I figured it's about cron job, then I tried using Task Scheduler in windows (following a link in your docs), and every one minute two command prompts shows briefly. But it doesn't seem to help the installation.

Am I doing something wrong? 

ross Team
ross Jun 12 '14
Pauline, just neglect this message, it always happens for the first time as there's no data to send, if you go to the previous page and do that step, you'll see that you are able to connect now. 

Is there any other problem with your installation? Have you managed to install the software or not?

The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 12 '14
Pauline
Pauline Jun 12 '14

Thank you for your reply, Ross.

Well, no. It doesn't complete installation at all, because everytime I go to localhost/oxwall, I'm on the installation page. I'm basically stuck. :/
The Forum post is edited by Pauline Jun 12 '14
ross Team
ross Jun 12 '14
On which step of the installation process you have the problem? (attach screenshot please )

What wamp version do you use?

What OS?

Pauline
Pauline Jun 12 '14

WampServer Version 2.4 (64-bit)

Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

Attachments:
  Untitled.png (259.44Kb)
ross Team
ross Jun 12 '14
Alright, as I said you can neglect this message, click continue. What do you get on the next step?
Pauline
Pauline Jun 12 '14
I can't get on the next step. There are no buttons aside from continue, and it would keep saying "Could not connect to database" when I click it. As I said, I'm stuck.
ross Team
ross Jun 12 '14
Pauline, can you please install WAMP 2.2 and try again, as we have already done a test installation on that version and worked just fine. Keep us updated. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 12 '14
Pauline
Pauline Jun 16 '14
Hi Ross. I uninstalled WAMP 2.4, downloaded and installed WAMP 2.2, enabled rewrite_module in Apache. Created "oxwall" database in phpmyadmin. Went to localhost/oxwall, and I still get the same error.

I can't move on from the screenshot I last posted. 

ross Team
ross Jun 16 '14
How do you create a database and DB user can you please provide us step-by-step?
Pauline
Pauline Jun 16 '14
I just go to localhost/phpmyadmin. Click the 'database' tab, fill in 'oxwall' in Create database, then click Create. The default user for it is:

User: root

Pass: <blank>

I have no problem installing CMSes like wordpress with that user & pass. So I'm wondering what could go wrong? :/

The Forum post is edited by Pauline Jun 16 '14
ross Team
ross Jun 16 '14
can you create a separate user please?

and grant all privileges to him 

The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 16 '14
Pauline
Pauline Jun 16 '14
Oh gosh, so that's it! Haha! Thank you, Ross! :)

I had to create another user that is database-specific, with all the privileges, including global. Thanks! 

ross Team
ross Jun 16 '14
Alright, so installation is completed?
Pauline
Pauline Jun 16 '14
Uhm, I thought it's done around the plugins. :/

Even when I left everything unchecked in the plugins part, it doesn't finish installing. After waiting for 3-5 minutes, it just goes becomes a blank page. When I refresh the page, it just goes to http://localhost/oxwall/500.phtml displaying an html code. 

When I go back to localhost/oxwall, it displays the installation page again. And now I can't connect because it says "This database should be empty _especially_ if you try to reinstall Oxwall." 

ross Team
ross Jun 16 '14
can you create another database or empty this one and try to reinstall again?
Pauline
Pauline Jun 16 '14
I created another database, another folder, unzipped oxwall 1.6 there. Created user for the database. I would then get stuck again on the plugins part where it loads for a while, then becomes a blank page. And it's the same thing.

I then dropped all the tables of database oxwall. And went to localhost/oxwall. I was able to install it again, without the error message of "database should be empty", since I emptied the database already. But it goes blank after clicking "finish" on Plugins again. :/

ross Team
ross Jun 16 '14
Pauline, can you please enable debug mode in the ow_includes/config.php file at the bottom of the code to see the actual error.  

Also make sure the error reporting is enabled (ON)

The Forum post is edited by ross Jun 16 '14
John
John Jun 16 '14
Surely this has been thrashed to death?

When you install oxwall on WAMP it loops and loops and loops and loops until you stop it.

I read somewhere that you cannot install Oxwall with a blank MySQL password and that makes sense.

So many people are trying this and so many have failed to the point where it MUST be affecting the script's reputation because so many are opting out.

I think it's time the Oxwall team addressed this and did a step-by-step instruction guide for WAMP or any other home server for that matter.

I downloaded the latest version of WAMP as suggested by Ross and changed mod_rewrite (I think) because it seems it's not actually called that. The install refused to go past the database because I didn't have a password. I gave up and will probably never attempt it again.
The Forum post is edited by John Jun 16 '14
Pauline
Pauline Jun 16 '14
I concur. :/

Ross, apparently I was able to install it (but with errors) on WAMP. When I read a forum topic about changing ow_core/database.php port to 3306, I edited the file. When I click the 'finish' button on Plugins, instead of displaying a blank page, it shows some errors (see attached screenshot) but when I go to the homepage it says it was successfully installed. 

Now I have no idea what happened, doesn't make sense to me. I also really hope there's a step by step guide for installing Oxwall in WAMP. 

Attachments:
  screenshot.png (190.65Kb)
Pages: 1 2 »