We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Database HEX varchars??? [Answered] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Vasilis
Vasilis Jul 2 '14
Hey guys,

Maybe this is normal functionality and I am not aware of a normal thing but I am trying to figure out why in the Oxwall MySQL database I see many varchar values as 32bit hex?

For example in ow_base_question the preexisting questions such as realname and sex can be seen as normal strings whereas the new ones I have added show up as 32bit hex values. The same applies for the answers stored for these questions that show up as 32bit hex. Is this normal functionality or something weird is going on with my database. On the website everything appears normal. Also, I see the values in hex both in phpMyAdmin and via the terminal. 

For example the question type 'Basic' is stored as 'f90cde5913235d172603cc4e7b9726e3' nonetheless I cannot find another table that allows the 'f90cde5913235d172603cc4e7b9726e3' to be turned back to 'Basic' and the pack php function is not returing 'Basic' either...

Thanks for your help!

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 14 '14
ross Team
ross Jul 2 '14
Yes, it is normal, the system generates hash values for custom created something (account type, profile question etc. ) or what can be edited. 
The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 2 '14
Vasilis
Vasilis Jul 2 '14
Quote from ross Yes, it is normal, the system generates hash values for custom created something (account type, profile question etc. ) or what can be edited. 

Thanks for your reply ross. Can you please provide some more information on how this works? Is there a place these values are stored? If this is a one way hash and on the pages you can see the actual string value it means that these strings are stored somewhere. Basically, I want to be able to insert new users directly in the database so it is important to understand all the tables involved and the way the hashes are generated. 

Sorry if this thread is not in the right place but considering I am not looking into changing the files but rather adding information in the database, I did not post in the custom code forum. 

Thanks in advance for the information.

ross Team
ross Jul 2 '14
please look at this post: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/6911

if you will look in the languages section you'll see that a key has the same value : f90cde5913235d172603cc4e7b9726e3 for the value "Basic" 

Vasilis
Vasilis Jul 12 '14
Thanks man. Got how it works now.
ross Team
ross Jul 14 '14
My pleasure. I'm going to mark this post as Answered