We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Sending Emails with alt-codes comes out as jibberish...? | Forum

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 9 '14
I have my site running where once an email gets sent, due to notifications and/or whatever else activity that goes on, gets sent with my site name...However, since this update to v1.7 - my site name is now all jibberish as opposed to what it was prior on v1.6.

My site name: The {Ñا} Çlan™

It used to display that properly when running v1.6, but now it doesn't display that correctly at all anymore...and I have no idea where I need to go to fix that.

Anything that get's displayed on the site that is from or uses my site name is okay and displays correctly though - it seems like it is only doing this for emails...

ross Team
ross Jul 9 '14
We have just tested on yahoo and gmail. Gmail works fine and yahoo is not and that depends on the mail agent you use, this is how the mail agent interprets these symbols. 

Because you test it on your own, go to your ow_base_mail table when you send those mails or notifications you'll see that these characters are displayed properly. 

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 9 '14
I just checked that table and nothing was in it...

It's the emails that I receive if (for example) someone messages me on the site, if I miss that message, and get that notification via an email, that email I receive doesn't display correctly (my "Site Name") since it's all alt-coded out......

I assume this would be done via .htaccess?

or something relating to UTF-8?

ross Team
ross Jul 9 '14
you can send a mass mail and insert $sitename variable in the post

ow_base_mail table should be already opened at this time so you could catch those messages, you'll see that your Site Name renders as it should be, however your mail agent interprets it's differently. 

Hybrid
Hybrid Jul 9 '14
Why is it interpreting it differently?

It worked perfectly fine when I was using 1.6 - and it only started occurring after updating to 1.7.

Jozef
Jozef Jul 9 '14
Solution: 

In database table ow_base_mail change (subject, textContent,.....) encoding from "utf8_general_ci" to (in my caseutf8_slovak_ci.