We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Child Themes in Oxwall [Answered] | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Omari
Omari Jul 17 '14
Hello just wondering is it is possible to use a child theme to override parts of a main theme in oxwall and how?
The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 17 '14
ross Team
ross Jul 17 '14
Please elaborate? what do you mean by overriding parts of the theme
Omari
Omari Jul 17 '14
well i make a lot of custom changes to the main theme. so when this theme is updated i loose all those changes. so just wondering if its possible to do a child theme to that parent theme.
ross Team
ross Jul 17 '14
well, it is possible to do, however you will have errors on your website as we change the template of the theme and then you will need to make it compatible with the updated version of the software. 

which is why we ask developers and theme designers to update their themes and plugins to be compatible with the updated version

The Forum post is edited by ross Jul 17 '14
Omari
Omari Jul 17 '14
do you think its wise to make all changes to a theme even if its an extensive amount of changes and put it in the "custom css" section as this overrides main theme settings? i'm also wondering if you introduce new css classess or modify existing ones as the product develops
ross Team
ross Jul 17 '14
It would be best if you do all your css changes via theme customizer in the admin panel, or just back up your changes and then put them in the updated version of theme and see which ones work and which one does not. This will save you a lot of troubles and time. 
Omari
Omari Jul 17 '14
yup agreed thanks