We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

my site speed - OxArt Speed Optimizer | Forum

tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 25 '14
this plugin may be good for shared hosting or something but on a vps with mod deflate and gzip and stuff set up my page actually loads faster with this plugin turned off 

plugin deactivated 
loaded 6.8 sec
l
plugin activated

oaded 7.4 sec

now if i turn off compress ccs 
and leave database cashe on 
so gzip and stuff works 
i get to 5.7 seconds 

so the database cashe seams to work 

can i increase the cashe size 

incorporating quickcashe would make this plugin way better
http://quickcache.worxware.com/

The Forum post is edited by tammy harris Jul 25 '14
Sardar
Sardar Jul 26 '14
Hi Tammy,

Are you sure the gzip files were generated when you ran your tests? Gzip files are generated by cron task, that's why there is some delay between plugin activation and moment when compressed files are ready. Don't forget you should run tests with empty browser cache (you should delete browser temp files) or use special services. From one hand you are right - mod_deflate works faster than PHP script, but compressor plugin doesn't do it in real time - as I told before all files are generated asynchronously so there is no any overhead on page render. Moreover the plugin additionally encodes small graphics (reducing the number of requests and removing blinking rollover problems), merges multiple static files and finally uploads files to cloud (CDN can give you enormous speed up) if cloud storage is available.

Concerning caching system - it's possible to cache not only SQL query results, we can cache markup of components, master pages and even whole pages markup. But there is one BIG problem called - cache synchronization, I mean we save to cache some data and when it is modified we need to invalidate cache. It's absolutely not trivial task.

DB cache is the most safe and transparent, that's why currently I'm going to develop query caching. At initial release it covers about 10-15% of most frequent queries on every page. Next releases I'm planning to increase it up to 50%. Also in next updates I'll implement Memcached and APC storage for those who have cloud, VPS or dedicated servers.

I'll try to squeeze maximum performance from Oxwall engine and I'm sure you won't regret that you invested in this plugin.

tammy harris
tammy harris Jul 26 '14
the plugin may gzip ccs and stuff but not html

maybe a few more options like

just merge ccs and js with out gzip to let sever handle gzip
or add html gzip
i dont know 
all i know my site is way faster with plugin deactivated
with the plugin activated my page size is huge, it turns server gzip off
when deactivated server gzip works and brigs the page down to almost acceptable size 

i understand the cashe problems but a good cashe script let you tell it what not to cashe 

Memcached and APC storage will be great i cant wait for the next update 

i will pm you details so you can test your self 
my site is very heavy with plugins 

Sardar
Sardar Jul 27 '14
OK, thank you for the details. I'll check your site and get back to you via PM.
You do not have permission to reply this topic