We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Newsfeed vs Wall | Forum

Keelan Leader
Keelan Oct 17 '11
What im a little confused about is, why can we post to the newsfeed, isn't the newsfeed suppose to be a recording of all the activities around your site, e.g. wall posts etc. So if someone posts to the newsfeed this bypass the wall.

I personally think you shouldn't be able to post straight to the newsfeed but either on your wall or another members wall.

Because right now we have two places to post stuff and i think it will be confusing.

I know you can disable this on index page but what about users dashboard?
The Forum post is edited by Keelan Oct 17 '11
Den Team
Den Oct 18 '11
Yes, you are that newsfeed suppose to be recording of all the activities around the site. This is the main function. And it also allow to post directly different type of content (text, photo, video). For example, you want to post on your community a funny photo with a short comment, if this function will be disabled, you have to go to photos, press upload photo, choose photo, type description, select album....  too long for a short funny photo :) 
With current newsfeed, you can just type some words and attache photo and community members will see. It is easy, fast and effective. That's why Facebook became so popular. You can fast and easy share your content, there are no excess operations :)
Emil Team
Emil Oct 18 '11
Also, Newsfeed and Profile Wall are not really meant to work together. You either have an acitivty stream website (with Newsfeed) or a basic site with comment walls. There's no need to activate all features available.
GH
GH Oct 19 '11
Personally.. I use the newsfeed.. Not the wall. I dont know what the real value is of the wall..

I rename my newsfeed to "Wall" and use it like a wall. The newsfeed is so much better..

I use one newsfeed per group.. and let my users use it like a photo journal..

Works fine..

Wall doesnt let you make a comment on a comment etc.. People really want that facebook feel, and newsfeed gives you that..

My 2 cents

Keelan Leader
Keelan Oct 20 '11
But you cannot post on someones newsfeed on their profile and they cannot post from their profile page right.

Okay so they can post from their dashboard or index if you enable it but someone still cannot write on someones newsfeed on their profile they can just comment and like what someone posts. 

So if i want to write a comment on X profile page, i cannot with the news feed. I just have to write in my own newsfeed and hope that the other person sees it.
Crystal
Crystal Nov 6 '11
Can you deactivate wall and just have newsfeed?
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 6 '11
Yes ^^ drag it out of the profile and freeze it.
Shelle
Shelle Nov 13 '11
I understand the newsfeed and how it works but:
1. If a user posts a video/photo, will that video or photo also automatically be posted to the photo section??
2. Can the newsfeed be visible only on the index page and within the user's profile?

I'm not sure I understand what Walls are. Can someone give me an example please?

Den Team
Den Nov 14 '11
1. No, if user posts one photo/video item it will not be saved on any of his photo albums. Newsfeed is intended for sharing content "on the fly". If user want to upload a lof of photos (typically set of photos from last party/holidays) he do it via upload photos and all photos are published in newsfeed too. 

2. Yes, admin should remove newsfeed widget from member's dashboard page in this way. 
Shelle
Shelle Nov 15 '11
Thanks, Addenster for answering my questions. It's amazing how FB-normalized we've become expecting uploads to the newsfeed to be automatically included in the users album.

I'll look into removing the newsfeed widget from the member's dashboard. Thank you again!
Alan
Alan Nov 19 '11
This is a sort of explanation that I have given differentiating between The Wall (Called mine Bring On The Wall after the program on tv lol) and Newsfeed. I hope it is a fair assessment of it? 

(Write in Newsfeed rather than "Bring On The Wall". Newsfeed is like status update on Facebook. But Bring On The Wall is like a message board from people to people. It only updates when you or somebody adds something new. Newsfeed will always update when people are writing in their "What's happening")

(
Bring On The Wall will still add the message to Newsfeed but it is more direct as in person to person chatting. Newsfeed is for the world and not just directed at one person :))
The Forum post is edited by Alan Nov 19 '11
Envira
Envira Nov 29 '11
so can we have news feed embedded within profiles ?so we can write on their profile which also is seen in news feed.
the wall system is confusing as well it is not making users to comment.also no notifications are seen.
Den Team
Den Nov 30 '11

Quote from Envira the wall system is confusing as well it is not making users to comment
Do you mean that it isn't allow users to comment each other? 

Quote from Envira so can we have news feed embedded within profiles ?so we can write on their profile which also is seen in news feed.
Currently, when somebody comment other profile, this comment will be shown on site index newsfeed and dashboard. This option can be disabled in newsfeed plugin settings. 

Den Team
Den Nov 30 '11
Also, there are notifications for newsfeed plugin. Every newsfeed activity is duplicated to user's email.
Dantes
Dantes Dec 6 '11
any way to do it "Online" like the arrowchat notification system its supouse to do it? but with programing involve?
jeo
jeo Jan 17 '12
But ant they a way of combining them both so for example see like facebook newsfeed most commend and new post, well it would be great to create the newsfeed like this "Latest Activity's" will show everyone's activity's on the site, updates will show all friends activity's and wall posts will show everyone who's posted a comment on your wall! this will save having 3 types of wall's and newsfeed's
Mike
Mike Feb 14 '12
I guess I agree that Newsfeed should not have the option to turn off the ability to write directly into it. Newsfeed should show the latest stuff going on from all areas of the site. 
Crystal
Crystal Sep 9 '12
Changed Newsfeed to recent Activity just seems less confussing
JB TECH
JB TECH Sep 9 '12
Newsfeed is what it stands for. It's just a stream of site feed to show activity on your site, whereas The Wall system, is to let users share their own opinion or comment on that specific profile/content.
Rainey
Rainey Jul 5 '13
I use the news feed as it is, I remove it from the user profile page, and the only place I use the wall, renamed is on the users profile page (
renamed "My Wall", and in the groups.  That way, if they want to leave a personal message to someone on the wall, they can, and it shows in the feed.  If they just wanna post something real quick, they can, and it shows in the feed, or, if they just wanna post directly to the news feed they can.  Most use news feed for everything except posting on each other's walls....
Pages: 1 2 »