We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

Warning - Excessive Resource | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Support » General Questions
Rengga
Rengga Nov 8 '11
Hello,

I have a problem, seems like this one: http://www.oxwall.org/forum/topic/2537

My site hosted at ipage.com, they say that my oxwall used excessive resource. Then I disabled scheduled job, forum, chat, video, but I still get the warning.

This is the message;
"We regret to say that database '****' is still consuming excessive resources on our servers. The updated database/tables/queries statistical information's are provided below:

Database Name: ****

AVG Queries / logged / killed
81712 / 3/ 2

Please continue with your actions and get back to us after you complete all your actions so that we can update you with the status of the database."

I don't know much about hosting and programming, I wish I find someone to help me fix my problem.Thank you.
The Forum post is edited by Rengga Nov 8 '11
Max
Max Nov 8 '11
Unfortunately, there's nothing to do.
If you even disable Chat, I think your hoster isn't recommended to host Oxwall..
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 8 '11
VPS if you plan on creating a killer site.
Rengga
Rengga Nov 8 '11
Okay, thank you guys for the reply.
I think I should move my site on VPS.

One question, I've turned my site on maintenance mode, but now I can't find how to login in. Where is the login link?
[sorry for this dumb question]
Den Team
Den Nov 9 '11
Quote from Rengga [sorry for this dumb question]
This is a really dumb question, discussed in tons topics :))
domain.com/sign-in

BTW how many users online do you have on your site with shared hosting account?
Rengga
Rengga Nov 9 '11

Quote from Addenster
Quote from Rengga [sorry for this dumb question]
This is a really dumb question, discussed in tons topics :))
domain.com/sign-in

BTW how many users online do you have on your site with shared hosting account?

haha...

I have about about 70 registered users. But when I checked the who is online, all users indicated as online now. :o

I dunno, but i'm sure it is an error.
Max
Max Nov 9 '11

Quote from Rengga

I have about about 70 registered users. But when I checked the who is online, all users indicated as online now. :o

Check your cron job
Rengga
Rengga Nov 9 '11
Hi Max,

This is my cron job (scheduled jobs on ipage) settings...

That cron was deactivated now, but as I said before, I still get warning from ipage.

I think it is well configured. #dunno
Max
Max Nov 9 '11
You forgot the php path before the cron path :
/usr/bin/php /home/yourdomain/public_html/ow_cron/run.php
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 9 '11
I think the excessive resources issue needs looked into.
I have had my site suspended twice in as many weeks recently.
Not many users online.
The first time I removed IM and downgraded the site to 1.2.2
When I brought it up to 1.2.6 (still no IM) it was fine.
I created a second oxwall site for testing, standard install, nothing fancy no users on it, no chat etc...  Within days the site suspended.
In the past with this host prior to 1.2.5 I had up to 4 oxwall installs running and wordpress.  IM was enabled on one site.

Now it seems I can just about get away with 1 oxwall, no IM and 1 wordpress.  Each time the excessive report directed to index.php from oxwall (live site).

They won't provide any detailed info with logs etc.
When the site is suspended I contact them, they release for my ip only so I can diagnose. After a couple hours I ask them to release to all and they comply.

What I did notice is when I loaded my site onto a local server, connected to the local and live databases using mysql administrator and checked server health, my local site the resources, sql queries and cache, bandwidth etc were all pretty low down until I log into the site then there is an expected spike of activity.
On the live site the database resources, queries, bandwidth etc with no on eon the site there seems to be constant activity.  I asked the host to detail any other connections to the site or if they can explain this and to date have no response.  I even asked if the resource hit was continuous or certain times of the day as I backup each night and that might be the cause.  Still no response.

So the warning is, if you are expecting a hi traffic hi content site then a shared hosting will NOT work.

Is there any way we can log ourselves the resources our site is using?
Keelan Leader
Keelan Nov 9 '11
Quote from Max You forgot the php path before the cron path :
/usr/bin/php /home/yourdomain/public_html/ow_cron/run.php

I don't think that works like that i think it uses GET rather than an internal cron command.

Yes the system is a little resource heavy but if you plan to make anything from you site you must consider a VPS.
Michael Leader
Michael Nov 9 '11
I agree Keelan,
To make people aware, even if the site isn't busy a shared host, especially a cheap one may have resource limitations that will trigger a suspension.
Post in the host troubleshooter forum
http://www.oxwall.org/forum/101
if you have a busy site AND on a shared host plan and have no issues.
Be under no illusion if looking to run a serious social site you will need a lot more power than what most shared host plans offer.