We build. You grow.

Get best community software here

Start a social network, a fan-site, an education project with oxwall - free opensource community software

I have a problem about privacy setting. If someone set privacy to Friends only, they can not see their content on their own profile newsfeed. | Forum

Kelvin
Kelvin Oct 9 '14
I have a problem about privacy setting. If someone set privacy to Friends only, they can not see their content on their own profile newsfeed.
ross Team
ross Oct 9 '14
Unfortunately we cannot reproduce that on our demo and test websites. Please share your URL. 
MsBree
MsBree Oct 25 '14
Hello,

I am having the same exact problem as the original poster!  If you look at the attached image, you will see I have photos in the Newsfeed Photo Album, but yet these photos do not appear on my own profile page.

If I change the "View my photo albums" privacy setting to 'Everyone', then they are visible on my profile page.  If I change this privacy setting back to "My Friends", the photos are NOT visible on my profile page, as the image shows.

The site is still in demo/dev/test mode and not live yet, and until this issue gets resolved, it won't be going live.  I was so hoping to go live within the week!

Can someone please help???
thank you very much!
Attachments:
  photos-not-showing-on-profile.jpg (92Kb)
MsBree
MsBree Oct 25 '14
Additional:  When I post a text-only status update, this appears on my Profile page.  ALL my privacy settings are set to 'My Friends' too!  This problem only happens when a photo is added.  I have been testing all afternoon, and when I post a photo WITH text as a status update, this will NOT show up on my Profile page.

I find this very important as most people will select 'My Friends' in their privacy settings; however, with this current issue, when someone clicks on the Username of someone who is using these privacy settings, there will be NO photos at all on their Profile pages...only what they have posted as text status updates ONLY and all the other people they've become friends with.

I have already completely deleted the Photos plugin, then downloaded a fresh copy from Oxwall and reinstalled it...same problem.  I am wondering if this might be a permission issue, but it definitely has to do with the Photo plugin.

Thank you so much for any suggestions and help in resolving this!  I am totally frustrated at this point!
The Forum post is edited by MsBree Oct 25 '14
Kelvin
Kelvin Oct 25 '14
yeah Bree !! It must be a HUGE issue !! I don't know why no one care about this HUGE issue !!?? You can NOT setup friend only on any other plugins such as Photo, Video..etc. That is very very bad if you care about your privacy. You must setup [All Members] that you can finally see your photo or video on your profile newsfeed !!! Default privacy plugin is very bad and lack a lot of features. A real privacy plugin must be like Facebook or Google+. People can setup their privacy anywhere like each post newsfeed. I can setup who can view. Privacy setting must can do who I want to show or not. For example, I upload a photo that I only want to show for my girlfriend only. Not [All my friends]. But there is no way to setup like that. So all my friends can see my private photo or video. It is a 10 years ago privacy setting. Now we need new privacy plugin to handle all plugins privacy.
MsBree
MsBree Oct 26 '14
Kelvin, I totally agree and couldn't have said it better myself!  I spent a good chunk of my day yesterday searching the internet for this solution, and was completely burnt out last night because I couldn't find ANYTHING else except our one thread here.  It appears you and I are the only two people using this software that have expressed a genuine concern over privacy issues.

Perhaps now that this thread has come back to life, something will be done quickly to resolve this issue.  This free Privacy plugin isn't cutting it, NOT in this day and age as you brought up.  I would even be willing to pay for a REAL Privacy plugin, just like the ones being employed on the other BIG social networks, but I have not found one as of yet!

Hoping someone from Oxwall can chime in here soon about this issue!  I absolutely LOVE Oxwall; but until this Privacy plugin has been updated to resolve these issues, my network will not go live.  People are demanding privacy rights, and they have every right to...I am one of them.  I just wish I would have checked this out FIRST before spending countless hours customizing my theme.
Kelvin
Kelvin Oct 26 '14
I did contact all Oxwall developers to make new privacy plugin for us. Even it should be cost some money. I have a pretty cool Oxwall website. But still not good enough. I did some customizing theme too.
MsBree
MsBree Oct 26 '14
This is great news Kelvin!  When did you contact them, and what was their reply including possible release?
ross Team
ross Oct 27 '14
This has been reported to our developers and will be fixed in one of the upcoming releases. 
MsBree
MsBree Oct 27 '14
Thank you for the good news Ross!  Would it be possible to let us know the approximate release for this fix?
ross Team
ross Oct 27 '14
Unfortunately, I do not have such info. 
MsBree
MsBree Oct 27 '14
OK, thank you...I understand!
pit
pit Nov 2 '14
I am extremately interested for solve this problem and I'm waiting for this release too many weeks ago.
Kelvin
Kelvin Nov 2 '14
Yes ! It is a must necessary functions for social network !!